Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Effects of Turning Name Auto Correct Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

meghan95

Technical User
Sep 18, 2002
US
Hello,
For a long time now I've been dealing with problem of Access 2000 reports reverting back to the default print settings when I've set them to print on Legal Paper, Landscape view.

I've read about the bug in Access that causes this with one of the suggested solutions being to uncheck all boxes related to Name Auto Correct. What are the side effects of turning off Name Auto Correct, though? It seems that this would cause more harm than good if I need to rename a field in a table or rename a query.

One of the other suggested solutions from Microsoft is to install SR-1 or 1a. My users and I are all on at least SP-3, so this fix obviously doesn't work.

I'm about ready to try turning Name Auto Correct off and was hoping for some feedback from someone who has done this successfully - what kind of implications were there for future refinement of the database?

Thanks, Meghan

Meghan
AutoNameCorrect caused enough problems for me that I turned it off long ago, and have not suffered any ill effects, in fact am much better off without it.

The obvious downside would be if you wanted to re-name something, perhaps a Query, that was referenced by a number of forms and/or reports. You would have to fish through and find all the individual spots and make the changes manually.

However, although I haven't done it, I assume you could turn it back on to accomodate the particular re-naming, and then turn it back off again.

As you have already learned, in spite of what Microsoft says, having SP-3 installed didn't help me.

Others may have deeper experience, but that's my input.

Good luck.

Tom

Tom,
Thanks for the input. I'm going to try it. I never thought about turning it temporarily back on, but I imagine that would work.
Meghan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back