Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Effect and Affect

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthNone

Programmer
Jan 27, 2003
US
I struggled for years to keep these straight and finally found a way:
If you can say "the effect" you want "effect" - notice the ending "e" in "the" and the beginning "e" in "effect", otherwise you want "affect".
One exception: psychologists use "affect" as a noun. In that context one may correctly state "the patient's affect was flat."

---------------------------------------
The customer may not always be right, but the customer is ALWAYS the customer.

From yourdictionary.com (
Usage Note: Affect and effect have no senses in common. As a verb affect is most commonly used in the sense of "to influence" (how smoking affects health). Effect means "to bring about or execute": layoffs designed to effect savings. Thus the sentence These measures may affect savings could imply that the measures may reduce savings that have already been realized, whereas These measures may effect savings implies that the measures will cause new savings to come about.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

I think you need to add a bit to the noun version of "effect" that you started with. "Effect" is also a verb. One can (theoretically) effect a solution. It does complicate matters some. Sorry

I suppose you could say that you must effect (cause) a situation before you can affect it!

Thanks for all the comments! I agree that my simple 'rule' doesn't fit all situations nicely, but it has helped me get from being thoroughly confused to often getting it right. I like Katy's simple sentence as another way to think a sentence through and select the correct word.
Every little hint helps to get it right :)
NorthNone
BTW someone who posts to the Access area has a tag line I like: "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do"

---------------------------------------
The customer may not always be right, but the customer is ALWAYS the customer.

All four uses:

The cause effected an effect.
(brought about), (result)

George affected a friendly affect.
(displayed, put on, feigned), (manner, emotional state)

Note pronunciation of the first two is similar.
Pronunciation of the verb and noun forms of affect are different. (uh-'fekt), ('a-fekt)

NorthNone,

A note from a person for whom English is not first language: I don't think I would confuse "affect" and "effect", but I am never really sure about using articles (yes, I know the rules).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back