Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Editing TS Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayzze

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2002
US
Does anyone know if it is safe to modify the rights on TS Proiles so that there contents can be modified? I know by default when they are created the rights are for the user only and I don't want to screw them up but I need to change some files stored in them and don't want to wait until the users are logged on. Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance!!!

I freqently troubleshoot tsprofile problems by taking ownership and assigning administrators full contol without any ill effects to the user. Generally I do this to move large psts or delete corrupt links. The only problem I have seen is where one of our admins took ownership of someone's tsprofile using his own account (rather than local admins) and the user got an error loading their profile (it basically states that the user or administrators need to be the owner of the folder). As a rule, I give local admins ownership rather than myself (I log into the server using my account and it belongs to local administrator's group). If you have Domain or Enterprise level rights, you may find that assigning to the local admins is unnecessary (I don't have that option, so local admins it is!!).

Also, if you do end up blowing away their permissions, give the the user full permissions to their root folder (normally their network share) and force the permissions down. I do this on a daily basis without problems.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that I didn't get a bunch of replies saying that taking ownership killed the profiles sporatically. Because I tested this throughly and it worked, but when you are doing 300 of them in a day it would be ugly if random people weren't able to log on or something...

there's also a GPO setting which will automatically add the administrator group for access to profiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back