Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Editing the registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

spydermonkey

Programmer
May 24, 2004
US
I found out today I had some really stupid AdWare called PerfectNav or something like that. So I searched google and found out this is how you remove it:

Start the registry editor. This is done by clicking Start then Run. (The Run dialog will appear.) Type regedit and click OK. (The registry editor will open.)
Delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE \ Classes \ CLSID \ {A045DC85-FC44-45be-8A50-E4F9C62C9A84}', if it exists.
Delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer\Browser Helper Objects \ {A045DC85-FC44-45be-8A50-E4F9C62C9A84}', if it exists.
Exit the registry editor.
Restart your computer.
Delete the following directory and its content:
%ProgramsDir%\PerfectNav\
Note: %ProgramsDir% is a variable ( ? ). By default, this is C:\Program Files.
Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
In Internet Explorer, click Tools -> Internet Options.
Click the Programs tab -> Reset Web Settings.

---------------------------------------

How can you read from and delete things from the registry in VB6? I want to create a program that will check to see if 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE \ Classes \ CLSID \ {A045DC85-FC44-45be-8A50-E4F9C62C9A84}' exists and delete it like they said. Then delete all the other things (if they exist).

Can someone give me an idea how I'd do something like this?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back