Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EDITING THE BOOT IN for DUAL BOOT??

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebickley

Programmer
Aug 28, 2001
GB
Hi i have 2 hard drives withs an OS on each. These drive are not partitioned. The master HD is Windows XP and need to be the default. The second is Win 2000 Server. I know how to make a new item appear on the boot list but i cant get it to work. (both work fine on there own)

heres what the 2 lines look like

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Win XP" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Win 2000" /fastdetect

Basically all i did was copy the line that was allready there in win XP but i think my changeing the disk number has done it.

Also when i do this neither of the HDs will boot at all

Please Help

Thanks

Joe

I won't bore you with any details, but Microsoft has some information on DUAL BOOTING that you can read.

> microsoft.com
Knowledge Base
Use the search to do this..........

> You probably are NOT going to be happy. I have no idea if it is even possible to have a Dual Boot with TWO NT OS's on the same machine...........

The way I know it is supposed to be done is: SINGLE HD
with Partition - C: = 1st OS D: = 2nd OS

Install Windows (98) first,,,,,,,, if you want it as the primary (HIGHLY recommend - not the XP or NT 1st)
> Then,,,,, XP/NT on drive D:
NT is recommended you do second.

So, maybe you can find out what you need to get XP and 2000 working as a Dual Boot....... but not by hacking them together.

GL

I have a dual boot XP system utilizing two different HD's on my laptop. Both OS's are XP Pro.
Below is my boot.ini. I believe that you just have to change the RDISK value.

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Modular Drive" /fastdetect

Another note...
disk(0) refers to the partition and not the physical drive.
rdisk(0) refers to the physical drive and not the partition.

Hope this clarifies.

Howdy:

Found the following for you.. Pay particular attention to the second line of the checklist !! It would appear you have to put the older OS (win2000) on the primary drive and then install XP on the second drive.

You can set up your computer so that it has multiple installations of Windows XP and Windows 2000 Professional. But, you must use a different computer name for each installation if the computer participates in a Windows 2000 Server domain. Because a unique security identifier (SID) is used for each installation of Windows XP on a domain, the computer name for each installation must be unique—even for multiple installations on the same computer. WinXpFix.com

Checklist:
To configure your computer containing Windows 2000 and Windows XP, fallow these following guidelines:

* You should Install each operating system on a separate drive or disk partition.

* Install Windows XP after you have installed Windows 2000.

* When you perform a new installation of Windows XP (as opposed to an upgrade), by default, the installation is placed on a partition on which no other operating system is located. You can specify a partition during Setup.

*Don’t install Windows XP on a compressed drive unless the drive was compressed with the NTFS file system compression feature.

* On any partition where you perform a new installation of Windows XP you will need to reinstall any programs, such as word processing or e-mail software, after your Setup is completed.

* Install your programs used by each operating system on the partition with that system. If you want your programs to run with multiple operating systems, you need to install separate copies of the programs in each of the operating system partitions.

* If your computer is on a Windows 2000 Server domain, each installation of Windows XP on that computer must have a different computer name.

Murray

Multibooting with Windows XP

-----------------------------------

Selecting Operating System dual booting XP .
<Window><Pause> keys/Advanced tab , in the &quot;Startup and Recovery&quot; section click on the
<Settings> button then select the Default operating system .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back