Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

editing startbutton right mouse click menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ockerb

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
Can someone tell me how i can edit the context menu that pops up when i right mouse click the start button in XP. I installed winace, winrar and zipmagic and all three programs have filled that context menu with crap I dont need, how do I get rid of it?

Ockerb

Something a bit similar here might give you a clue.

How do I change the OEM Mfg link in WinXP?
thread779-399841

Are the prefernce options in the programs concerned to remove the items? Perhaps they are options displayed during the install process. You could try uninstalling them and re-install them. Get hold of a freware program of the Net called InCtrl5 which will monitor where setup places items in the registry.

you can change that in the registry, but I'm not certain wich keys are involved.

Linney is correct that the programs you mentioned have checkable setup items for the context menu.

You can approach this through the registry, but it is more than a little tedious and somewhat mysterious. The context menu is not a single view, rather multiple views depending on, naturally, the context.

The xteq x-setup freeware tweak utility allows some control over these items. But I remember from wanting to add items to the context menu that the process is decidely murky if you want to edit these context menus and there is no selectable installation for the program that wants to add them.

thanks everyone for your help :)
Much appreciated

I just fixed the same problem. I removed the program that created the shortcut. Secondly, I searched the registry using the name that was on the menu(name of the program I wanted to remove). I found it under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\""name of the program"". I deleted the folder on the leftside as it contained other references to the program I removed.
Hope this helps
jim G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back