Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Editing Shapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrysr

Technical User
Sep 9, 2005
US
When I use the pen tool and select a custom shape (such as a star) and draw it, I am unable to edit it.

It seems locked from any changes. How do I edit/change the drawing?

I'm a little confused by the questions -

Are you using the pen tool and making a path, or are you using the custom shape tool to "draw" the star?

If the latter, you have the option of making the shape 1-a shape layer, 2- a path, or 3-fill pixels.

Use option 2 if you want an editable path.

Let us know if I've misinterpreted the question.

Thanks,
Donna

There are 3 tools you can use for manipulating paths,

1. the black pointer will grab the entire path so you can move, resize or transform the entire path.

2. The white pointer grabs only the selected anchor points so you can manipulate the handles, distort the path, etc.

3. You can use the pen tool to add or delete acnchor points (among other things).

Note, this doesn't work if the shape tool is set to "fill pixels". When it is set to this you do not actually get a path. You are stuck with using the transform function or manually editting.

I am using the custom shape tool. I need a vector image because I want a very accurate smooth shape. I use the path option but I still cannot alter the path once I draw the object.

Specifically I am trying to draw a custom Star. Problem is, the pre-defined star shape has a star within a star. I am trying to Delete the internal star leaving only the outer.

Make sure that you have the custom shape tool set to "paths" or "shape layers" and you will be able to delete anchor points using the "direct selection tool" (press "A" , then press "Shift + A" once or twice untill you get the white pointer), click on the interior star, hold down the shift button and click on all the anchor points you want to delete, then press the "delete button" on your key board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back