Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

editing registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomh21

Technical User
Nov 17, 2004
US
 Hello, i recently purchased the book pcmag windows xp speed solutions. interesting  book but im having some problems. the book tells how to change the way the prefetch folder acts by editing the registry. i follow the instructions exactly and reboot and then go back into the registry and check the key i previously edited and its right back to its original setting, as if id made no change. in another example i follow the instructions to change application priority. i start the program i want to change, go to the processes tab of the task manger, right click the app i just started, chose "set priority" and then select "above normal". i close out of task manager and then go back in to see if the change took hold and its right back to were it was before i made the change. this is not the first time for the registry, i once made a edit to stop the pop up balloons in the notification area. same thing, the edit would revert to its original setting as soon as i closed out of the registry. is there some program in windows that protects setting so they cant be changed? there must be some explanation. My computer is a Toshiba laptop running winxp media center edition ver 2002, service pack 2 . any help appreciated. thanks, tom.

Are you an Administrator, that is the usual cause of settings not sticking?

Are you on a Domain, with Group Policy controlling your actions?

Also are you running an Security type programs that prevent alteration to the Registry?

Launch RegEdit and use the Help program as it is your best source of information about RegEdit.
These following links take the subject a bit further too.

310516 - How To Add, Modify, or Delete Registry Subkeys and Values by Using a Registration Entries (.reg) File

310426 - How To Use the Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Registry Editor Features

Here is a good program to know about if you are a Registry Tweaker.

Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/XP

Thanks linnery, this is my personal laptop and i never have to logon just boot up and im ready to go so i guess there wouldnt be a prob with not being a administrator.

i do run Zone alarm pro firewall and trend micro antivir. ill check and see if thats the prob.

thanks for the links, ill check them out.

You're welcome, but your first sentence does not necessarily mean you are an Administrator user, a Limited User could have an automatic logon.

To confirm you are an Administrator, make sure your username is listed in the Administrator's Group in Computer Management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back