Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Editing Default Domain Policy to disabled Standby / Hibernate? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ame540

Technical User
Sep 14, 2004
US
Hi! I am pretty sure this question belongs here. We recently setup a new domain on a Windows 2008 server (running forest and domain functional level 2003 because there are server 2003 systems still in place).

Once i added all our workstations to the domain, i made a copy of the default domain policy and enforce it at the domain level. After doing so, ALL the workstations now have their power options setting to go into standby mode after 2 hours. I need to disable this from happening, where in this GPO policy can i change this setting?

I've done some reading on various forums and other people were saying that you can't enforce standby policies via GPOS's and that there is an energy star freeware utility that can be pushed out to clients to fix this. I don't get it though, if i added these computers to the domain and they started going into standby mode, then surely i'd be able to change things so that they won't do this?

Maybe edit the Computer Configuration > Windows Settings somewhere?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The easiest way to manage this would be to use the new Group Policy Preferences that were added to the Windows Server 2008 OS. You can configure these settings for the domain by using the GPMC on the Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 machine. Under 'Computer Configuration\Preferences\Control Panel Settings' select 'Power Options' and right-click. Select 'New' from the context menu and configure the specific power settings you are after. The domain computers need to have the set of client-side extensions installed for Group Policy Preferences to work. The following articles provide some more information for you to look at.

- Group Policy Preferences: Getting Started

- Managing Power with Group Policy: Part 3 of 3

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, CWTS

I had actually found that managing power series 3 of 3 before in my searching, but now reading up on the new features that server 2008 allows with the client-side extensions, i'm thinking this is something we'll need to do.

So all the CSE's can be loaded via GPO as well?

If you have a WSUS server you can push the Client Side Extensions out as an update. Otherwise, you could use a Logon script via Group Policy to install the particular software package. Here is another article to look at for information on deploying the Client Side Extensions.

- Installing Group Policy Preferences Client Side Extensions

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, CWTS

IllogicallyLogical-

Thanks for the follow up comments, the new domain controller is also a WSUS server so i will explore pushing out the CSE's via that console.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back