Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

editing data directly without SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

blom0344

Technical User
Mar 20, 2002
NL
I have a database for monthly reporting which uses several lookup tables that are maintained by a key-user. These are tables with some 200 records each, mainly used to provide grouping-keys for reporting. I edit these tables with update/insert statements through command enter or by uploading complete files.
I really want the maintenance on these tables done by the key-user, preferably without her having to use SQL. For ORACLE I use a special tool which allows me to go directly in a table , edit a field and give a commit.
I know this request does make a potential mock-up of database integrity, but I have to accept this as the only workable solution in our company.
Does anyone know if this is possible with the standard toolset provided with DB2 UDB 7? (at the moment version 7.1)
(Control center, command center, etc) T. Blom
Information analist
Shimano Europe
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Hi,

You could use command center. After writing a sql query, the result set can be changed and committed.

I just ran a select script in command center using runtime client from a remote PC (version 7.1) . In the output I can set the cursor anywhere, but I can not change any data.
Is the functionality you mention something not supported by version 7.1 , only on version 7.2? T. Blom
Information analist
Shimano Europe
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Hi,

In Command Centre enter you select in the 'Interactive' tab and the results will be displayed in tabular format on the 'Query Results' tab.

Regards,

Stoggers.

Hello Stoggers,

I know the output of the query is being displayed, my concern is whether you can EDIT this without having to resort to SQL . Take a tool as TOAD, which lets you directly edit data in situ in the table itself. (But then for ORACLE)..... T. Blom
Information analist
Shimano Europe
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Hi,

I have requently updated fields in the 'Query Results' grid display and committed them to the database.

With regard to the original problem, it may be possible to isolate the users from SQL by using a view or a stored procedure and then just let them edit the grid display.

If you wnat something more sophisticated then IBM does offer the 'Table Editor' which is almost an application generator. However, it is, I believe, a chargeable option. There is a time-limited download from IBM.COM if you are interested.

Regards,

Stoggers

Hello Stoggers,

Aah, now this is starting to become interesting. I'll check the IBM site right away. Thanks. T. Blom
Information analist
Shimano Europe
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Thanks ummadhira ,

I bought AQT for 50$ some years ago to evaluate its use. For the money it is quite a nice tool, but unlike TOAD you cannot use the datagrid to manually edit the contents of tables. This is the type of action I am looking for to isolate my user from having to run update SQL statements at this table. Quest software has Quest central for DB2 as the equivalent of their TOAD product, but it is also limited in this respect.........
The URL you suggest seems to no longer exist........ T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back