Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

editing config

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkmorrow

MIS
Jan 12, 2001
US
Is it possible in a Cisco router to edit the config file with a text editor, move the file to the router and then copy it over the existing config.
This is a snap in Nortel routers, but I cant find any information on how to do this with Cisco.
In Nortel, the commands are much like in DOS, copy, delete, etc.
Can you do similar things with Cisco?

Yes, yes and yes. You can make your configuration in a text file and load it into your router. You must remember though, that when you load your text version into the router that it will append it to what is in the running-configuration. In other words, it will not over write your running-configuration, it will just add to it. Now, you can make your text version of your configuration, then erase the NVRAM and then load your text version into the start-up (NVRAM), but when you do a "copy start run" you'll get the same appended configuration. If you want to keep your text configuration only, you'll have to reload the router after you copy your text version into the NVRAM. Does this make sense?

Oh, by the way, you can cut and paste your configuration from the global configuration mode. You can also load the text version via TFTP, but you'll have to delete the *.txt extention first. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply on this post, but where do I find out exactly how to do this? Does Cisco have any detailed info on how it can be done?
Thank you

Say you have a text file in notepad, you can make a change
in the text copy it and paste it back on the router while in the config mode. Be careful what you cut and paste. Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

I'm not sure if they have detailed information. You can check thier web site at and see. It's really simple, just like jeter says in his post. Make the config, copy it, go into config mode, and paste it. It doesn't get any easier. If you want a sample config to go off of, copy your config to a TFTP server and open that file in textpad. Viola, instant sample config. Good luck

using Hyperterminal, it's very easy to "upload" or "download" a config. I very often write a config with notepad and then upload it to the router.

1. At the <router>(config)# go to &quot;TRANSFER&quot; on the tool bar of hyperterminal and choose SEND TEXT FILE. Browse to the location of the file and choose it. The config file will then be uploaded to the router. Be sure to write it to memory after you're satisfied with the config. I usually put a &quot;no shut&quot; line in the notepad file for the interfaces I want up because they tend to be shut down when doing this.

2. To save an existing config...... Log into router and then go to TRANSFER again and choose Capture Text. Browse to the location you want the saved file and choose a name for the file and put a .txt extension on it. Then do a show run from the router..... Then go back to CAPTURE TEXT, and click STOP. You will need to clean up the file in the places where you needed to advance the screen. (just delete the eroneous characters in those spots)
Hope this helps,

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back