Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Edit text on Image

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyone

Programmer
Dec 14, 2000
CA
Hi
I have a jpg which has some text on it and i want to change that text. I would like to know the steps to do this.
Please help

Thanks
Nitin

First, open the JPEG in Photoshop, then erase the old text (you cannot edit text that is a graphic image). After erasing the old text, create new text using the Photoshop text tool.

If you save the Photoshop file in its native format (.PSD) AND THEN save the editied graphic as a new JPEG, you will always have the PSD file as your original which can be edited--text and all.

Also, a word of caution. It's better to save the edited JPEG by a new file name, thus creating an entirely new file. If you save the edited version on top of the older version, you could wind up with a loss of quality as JPEG formats are a "lossy" format, removing pixels in the compression process. Creating a new file overcomes that problem.

Good luck.

Dennis Hays
Dennis Hays Information Design

Thanks for that but i have another problem now. The text overlaps an image in the background so how do i erase the text keeping the background image intact and then probably write my own text.
Please help

Thanks
Nitin

You'll have to magnify the area where the text is overlapping the image so you can work in close.

Then use the eraser tool (Hint: you can make the eraser smaller or larger by using the "[" for smaller and "]" for larger -- those are square brackets, by the way) to erase the old text but leave the area where the graphic is alone. You will probably have to retouch the graphic to make it look like there was nothing on top of it.

Once you save a graphic as a JPEG, it's flattened and all of the items, text and graphics, are in one "plane" or layer. Therefore, you have to edit around the graphic, removing everything that's not wanted and then retouch, if necessary, everything that is wanted.

This is quite close work and you'll need to take your time to carefully remove the old stuff.

This is another reason to save the original PSD files. Their layers will also be saved enabling you to edit stuff like this without the exasperating need to erase and retouch to to edit text.

Dennis
Dennis Hays Information Design

If your text is overlapping your image you will have to use the RUBBER STAMP (CLONE) tool..........
I suggest zooming in pretty close and lower the opacity control to about 80%(if you are using 6.0) this will give you less of a hard edge...

You will probally have to keep setting a new sample point with the clone tool as well.......just clone little bits at a time and use your SELECTION RECTANGLE TOOL combined with the clone tool helps prevent any slips ups and keeps the cloning in a confined area.....

Good Luck!

The text on the back ground image seems to have a shadow. I was just wondering if there was any other way to clear off the text keeping the background intact. Sine the back ground image is a combination of more than 1 image and it's all blended. Is it possible to use the air brush tool here.
Anyway i was just thinking if i could send you the file so that you can take a look and then suggest what i can do.
Please let me know

Thanks again for all the help

Nitin

HI
I have to use the rubber stamp tool to edit a gif. what are the detail steps involved in doing this. PLease help i'm new with photoshop. I'm using photoshop 5.5.
I tried using it but for some reason the whole image moves instad of just the specific area. Do i need to create a new layer or convert the image into RGB color or flatten the gif. Please let me know

Thanks
Nitin

I sent a cleaned up version back to you.........is that what you are trying to get?

As for the Rubber Stamp tool:

1. Select the tool
2. Put the tool over the area/color you want to sample
3. Holding down the OPTION key on the keyboard, click the mouse to select that as your target area.
4. release the OPTION button and then treat the tool like a paint brush. Still holding the button down.
5. You will notice a plus sign following your bursh tip....this is good
whatever the plus sign rolls over the brush tip paints ( think of it like erasing a blemish from a Models face for a magizine ad by sampeling the skin tone pixels next to the pimple...this assures that
the area erased matches all the surrounding area. (confused yet?!!)

6. IMPORTANT!!!!!...........every time you want to select a different area to use as your sample for copying you will need to hold down the OPTION key and click in that area...........When I did that test for you I was constantly sampling various areas.....so don't be surprised if you find yourself sampling ALOT....I have found this gives you a better ( no obvious pattern ) result.

Sorry if none of this makes sense..............It is easier to explain some things in person.......

Best of Luck...........
Let me know if it helped ya!!!!

hey guys just found the solution to my problem

Thanks
Nitin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back