Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Edit Registry: Any principles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishJim

Programmer
May 3, 2002
US
I'm about to edit my registry (actually one on Win98 and one on WinMe).

In looking over past threads, FAQ's, etc., I saw the following: "Obviously, the moral of the story is 'Thou shalt not mess around with your registry unless thou doth knowest what thou art doing'". Obviously wise words.

I want my PC's to forget they've ever heard of Symantec and Norton, before I load the new virus software.

When I search for keywords and find them (either in a key or a data element, or wherever), are there any good rules-of-thumb about when to delete a value, when to delete a key or folder, or whatever?

I'd love to hear your feedback! Thanks.

lesson I could If you don't know what you're doing first do a back up then start playing around. That is the best advice I can give. [yinyang]-Knowing is half the battle-[yinyang]

Have a working boot disk and have a good backup of both files so you can restore them.
In general, if the key contains only specific stuff for one program, I delete the key, if not I delete the data. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Like Ed says...
BACK UP!!
The two files he is referring to that make up the registry are system.dat and user.dat All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

If you have already uninstalled norton and symantec, a great little util to catch most of the orphaned entries is regclean. You download it from microsoft or I can email it to you.

Paul

Thanks for your help! I'll make copies of the system.dat and user.dat before I start. And check my boot disk.
I wasn't looking for a tool, but that Regclean sounds good. It's not compatible with the newer operating systems, so Microsoft took it off their site.
However, one thing led to another, and I found the following article, which has just what I was looking for, complete with printscreens of what I see in my registry, and pointers for removing software references before re-loading!
To give him credit, it's by a guy named Brien M. Posey.
I'll probably get into it over the weekend.
Thanks again.
IrishJim

Why go through all of this - If you just uninstall it from your Programs menu or Add/Remove it from Control Panel, it will remove itself from your hard drive AND your registry. There's a snowball chance in hell that you're going to understand all of the additions that Norton made to your registry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back