Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Edit Profile page 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

redzonne

Programmer
Feb 20, 2005
US
Does anyboby know how to put together a user profile edit script.

I inserted the below code. It doesn't actually update the database though. I think I'm missing a piece.

PHP:
:
mysql_select_db('realest1_proppost');
  $query2 = "UPDATE customerindex SET cfirstname='$cfirstname', clastname='$clastname', cmidinitial='$cmidinitial', cstaddress='$cstaddress', cunitnum='$cunitnum', ccity='$ccity', czip='$czip', cphone='$cphone', cfax='$cfax', cemail='$cemail' WHERE login='$login', $db";
  $result2 = mysql_query($query2);
  if ($result2)
     echo '<span class=p2><b>Profile Successful</b></span><br /><br />';
     echo '<span class=psparkblu12><b>';
     echo $myrow["login"];
     echo '</b> You have successful updated your user profile for your property posting account</span><br /><br />';
     echo '<a class=pmidblu href="proppost_controlpanel.php">Click here to return to Property Post Control Panel</br></a>';

www.realestatenetfind.com/edit_ownersignup.phps

www.realestatenetfind.com/edit_ownersignup_insert.phps

The Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with the First Step...

There is an extra $db in your query variable ie $query2
Code:
  $query2 = "UPDATE customerindex SET cfirstname='$cfirstname', clastname='$clastname', cmidinitial='$cmidinitial', cstaddress='$cstaddress', cunitnum='$cunitnum', ccity='$ccity', czip='$czip', cphone='$cphone', cfax='$cfax', cemail='$cemail' WHERE login='$login'";// remove $db
  $result2 = mysql_query($query2);
  if ( mysql_affected_rows() > 0 ) { 
     echo '<span class=p2><b>Profile Successful</b></span><br /><br />';
     echo $myrow["login"];
     echo '</b> You have successful updated your user profile for your property posting account</span><br /><br />';
     echo '<a class=pmidblu href="proppost_controlpanel.php">Click here to return to Property Post Control Panel</br></a>';
	}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I never set a goal because u never know whats going to happen tommorow.

I however dont like your WHERE clause, as I think it should be based on an unique ID! (user_id), not the login!

Also, you have no securing of variables, with mysql_real_escape_string(), trim(), striptags()...

Look those functions up on
As always:
Olav Alexander Mjelde
Admin & Webmaster

The extra $db was the problem. It works now.

PHP:
  $query2 = "UPDATE customerindex SET cfirstname='$cfirstname', clastname='$clastname', cmidinitial='$cmidinitial', cstaddress='$cstaddress', cunitnum='$cunitnum', ccity='$ccity', czip='$czip', cphone='$cphone', cfax='$cfax', cemail='$cemail' WHERE login='$login'";
  $result2 = mysql_query($query2) or die(mysql_error());

if ($result2)
{
     echo '<span class=p2><b>Profile Updated</b></span><br /><br />';
     echo $myrow["login"];
}

My WHERE clause is based on my Login because I have code on the signup page that forces all logins selected by users to be unique.

PHP:
  $query3 = "SELECT login FROM customerindex";
  $result3 = mysql_query($query3);
  while ($row=mysql_fetch_assoc($result3)) { 
  if ($login == $row['login']) { 
  $uniquelogin = "false"; } 
  } 
  if ($uniquelogin != "false") { 
  //do nothin continue 
  } 
  else { 
  echo '<span class=psparkred12>Your chosen login, <b>';
  echo $login; 
  echo '</b> is already taken - please go back and try again</span>'; 
  exit;
  }

What do you think? Was whether the variable that the WHERE clause was based on unique, your concern?

What are securing variables? What would be the benefit of having sceuring variables in this instance be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back