Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

edit permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

iccpm

MIS
Apr 22, 2000
US
I need to set up an access dbase so that it disallows editing of specific records after a yes/no field is updated for the first time. It would be nice to be able to override with a password, but not essential.  How do I do this?-- will a macro allow me to change the properties of the record after update?

The only 100% succesful way I have made it work, without having either errors or it not working as planned is to have 2 forms. One is for viewing and one for editing.<br>You set the Allow edits Property of the form to read only on the viewing one. and normal on the editing.<br>The way I do it is make a copy of the one form like this.<br>Close the form that you want to make a copy of then Right click on it and copy it to a nerw form. Open new form in design view and and in the &quot;forms&quot; properties change the &quot;Allow edits&quot; to NO.<br><br>I spent too may hours trying to write this or that.<br>Access has a bug-ah-boo when it comes to changing editing parameters on the fly.<br> <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

not going to work- i need to continue to update other fields, but to keep the

Why not just use the before update event of the form and have it check to see the value of the checkbox field. Depending on what it is you can set Cancel=True to prevent the record from being saved. <br><br>You could have a hidden field in the table not existing on the form that gets set to something the first time the box is checked and then examine that field on future changes.<br><br>If you have user level security setup you can have it check the currentuser() and if it is you then disregard the whole before update procedure. <br><br>Perhaps you could use the afterupdate of the checkbox to check it's value and then set the enabled property of the fields you do not want updated to False.<br><br>These are just a few ideas. I hope you find something useful.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back