Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Edit multiple records from a listbox 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcfarland

Programmer
Feb 26, 2003
US
My MS Access form contains the following items:

· An unbound listbox with the Multi Select property set to “Extended” that queries unposted transactions (PostingStatus = “Open”) from a table named “tblData”
· A command button named “cmdPost”

I would like to select various records from the listbox , click the post button, and set the PostingStatus value for those records to “Post”. It seems like there should be vb code in the event procedure “cmdPost_Click()” to execute this function. I have tried the following code but there appears to be a problem with the “Rs.Edit” line. Any suggestions? Would it be easier to do this with a bound listbox?

Private Sub cmdPost_Click()

Dim CurDB As Database, Rs As Recordset, SQLStmt As String, Trx As Variant, ctl As Control

Set CurDB = CurrentDb()
Set ctl = Me![ID]

'For each record selected in listbox
For Each Trx In ctl.ItemsSelected

'Set PostingStatus to "Posted"
SQLStmt = "SELECT * FROM tblData WHERE [ID] = '" & ctl.ItemData(Trx) & "'"
Set Rs = CurDB.OpenRecordset(SQLStmt)
Rs.Edit
Rs!PostingStatus = "Posted"
Rs.Update
Rs.Close

End Sub

Before rs.edit I would check to make sure that a record was returned by SQLstmt:

If rs.recordcount > 0 then

also, I would specifically declare the recordset as a dynaset:
Set Rs = CurDB.OpenRecordset(SQLStmt, dbOpenDynaset)

Ken

Thanks Ken. I revised my code to look like the following but I’m still getting the same error. Could the Dim variables be incorrectly defined? When type “Rs.”, the auto drop-down list doesn’t contain “Edit”. Does that matter?

John

Dim CurDB As Database, Rs As Recordset, SQLStmt As String, Trx As Variant, ctl As Control

Set CurDB = CurrentDb()
Set ctl = Me![ID]

If Rs.RecordCount > 0 Then
Rs.Edit
Rs.Update
Rs.Close
End If
End Sub

If you're using Access 2k or XP then it may be defaulting to ADO instead of DAO. I have no experience with ADO -- was Access 97 only until just recently - employer switched to XP.
Make sure you have a reference set to DAO 3.x
Change your dim to: rs as DAO.Recordset

Hope that helps.

Kenm

I’m using Access 2000. That seemed to work for the “Rs.Edit” problem. However, I’m seeing another error with the “Set ctl = Me![ID]” line. “ID” is the unique primary key in tblData. How should I define what has been selected in the listbox, which is named “lstPostTrx”? The following is the revised code.

Dim CurDB As Database, Rs As DAO.Recordset, SQLStmt As String, Trx As Variant, ctl As Control

Set CurDB = CurrentDb()
Set ctl = [ID]

Rs.Edit
Rs.Update
Rs.Close
End If

Next

End Sub

Thanks,
John

The Set statement needs to use the control name, not the field name

Set ctl = lstPostTrx (may have to use Me!lstPostTrx or Froms!formname!lstPostTrx)

Ken

Thank you for you help so far, Ken. I figured that I could give you a star. I fixed the “ctl” statement and it seemed to work.

Now, the Debug is taking me to the “Set Rs = CurDB.OpenRecordset(SQLStmt, dbOpenDynaset)” line. When I drag the cursor over the “SQLStmt” portion of the statement, it appears to be recognizing the first record ID that was selected in the listbox (SQLStmt = “SELECT * FROM tblData WHERE [ID] = ‘47’”). When I drag the cursor over the “dbOpenDynaset” portion of the statement, it indicates “2” (dbOpenDynaset=2). I’m not familiar with dynasets and I’m wondering if there is a problem with how this is working.

Dim CurDB As Database, Rs As DAO.Recordset, SQLStmt As String, Trx As Variant, ctl As Control
Set CurDB = CurrentDb()
Set ctl = Forms!frmPost!lstbxPostTrx

Rs.Edit
Rs.Update
Rs.Close
End If

Next

End Sub

Thanks again,
John

John,

Is the field ID a number or text field? The SQLStmt is treating it as text (surrounded by the apostrophe character). If it is a number you need to remove the aposthophes.

SQLStmt = "SELECT * FROM tblData WHERE [ID] = " & ctl.ItemData(Trx)

Ken

Good work! Ken, thanks for your patients.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back