Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

edit config.sys in DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
okay i am not so good at this. but my computer is completely crashed (as far as i know). windows will not run. if it tries to, my computer just says "it is now safe to turn off your computer". the only way to get to dos, is to put a disk in (and windows won't start with a disk in) so i figured out by scanning my c drive that i am missing
device=c:\dos\himem.sys
so i need to edit my config.sys in dos. (i figure i can copy
himem.sys from another computer)
i don't know dos commands very well. please help!!
thanks

Hi,

Copy the file to a floppy while in windows.

or

If you want to copy the file from another computer while in DOS mode type the following at the DOS prompt:

C:CD DOS
XCOPY HIMEM.SYS A:\ (make sure the spaces are all there)

Then goto your computer and at the DOS prompt type the following commands to copy the file from the floppy to C:\DOS\:

A:XCOPY HIMEM.SYS C:\DOS\ (make sure the spaces are all there)

That's it.

Hope this helps! NATE
spyderix.gif

Depending on the version your himem.sys automatically loads without having the line in config.sys.
In fact, unless you are loading something special, you probably don't need a config.sys at all.
But if you insist:
Boot from floppy
path=%path%;c:\windows\command
edit c:\config.sys
move to the beginning of the line where you want it
autoinsert device=c:\windows\himem.sys and [enter]
[alt] then [f] then
[alt] then [f] then [x]
reboot Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

As I figured it out, you want to edit your config.sys, putting some sort of device there, hoping that your crashed Window will work just fine. These steps won't work because your system is severely damaged and Himem.sys will not revert the damage done.

Reinstall your Windows!
ERA
era@nittsu.com.ph
era@digitelone.com

Right after the pc detects your hard drive and detects where your operating system is, hit f8, and a box will come up asking if you want to go in through safe mode, step by step, normal, etc. You'll want command prompt only.
If you need to edit that file, type in a dos box edit config.sys and a screen will pop up. This also works with win.ini, autoexec.bat and some other files. Works good incase you have a virus in your autoexec or win.ini that you can't get rid of.

If you are in WIN98

go to the DOS prompt:
type in at the c:\scanreg/restore
and follow instructions

let me clarify before i try anything:
i cannot run windows at all. (windows95 at that) i cannot reinstall windows (as far as i know how to) without a disk, because my cd drive won't work because himem.sys is screwed up.
that's about it i think. is there any hope? should i just forget it?

Have you tried the dos edit from the floppy?
the close out sequence interpreted wrong
alt then f then s
alt then f then x

has to do with the left bracket +s + right bracket being an escape code. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Have you tried booting with the win 95 bootdisk,and typing win at the prompt.Your bootdisk if made as a w95 bootdisk might have autoexec.bat and config.sys on it. you could try booting to dos with the startup disk. When you get to the A: prompt type in DIR and see if in fact the config.sys is present.If it is then copy it to the C: drive.
a:\>xcopy a:\config.sys C:\

Let me ask something. You turn on the computer and you get a "it is now safe to turn off your computer" message and it shuts down. Is that right? In my experience that's usually caused by having a wininit.ini file in the windows folder but wininit.exe isn't there to process it at startup in which case the computer gives you that error then shuts down. Did you just install anything prior to this problem? Give this a shot. Turn on the computer and keep tapping the F8 key. You should get a startup menu with some options. Using the arrow keys choose command prompt only and press enter. At the ms-dos prompt type the following and press enter:

ren wininit.ini wininit.old

if that command fails try this one:

ren c:\windows\wininit.ini c:\windows\wininit.old

Then wait a moment then type exit or win and press enter or do a ctrl + alt + del and restart and see if windows loads now. If it does then wininit.exe is definately missing. It should be in the windows folder. It may have been deleted or renamed by a virus so run a virus scan. If it is missing you'll want to replace it.

I need a complete config.sys including stacks buffers files, plus I have 2 cd's rom one is a burner and the other is a reader I need the computer to reconize this when in dos mode

In DOS DOS? Or in a DOS window in windows?
Are you dual booting DOS and Windows?
Do you have drivers and programs for the CD and burner?
Normal burner is under windows using Nero or CD creator but it can function as a CD under DOS.
Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com

cd\windows\command <enter>
c:\windows\command> edit config.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back