Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EDirectory 8.6.2 on windows box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ataylor44

Technical User
May 17, 2000
US
We are running Netware 6 and are powering down novell servers and moving resources to window servers.We would like to still use groupwise and edirectory 8.6.2 since we already have a license for that on our novell server.Do we need to get another license for edirectory for windows to run it on the windows box and I've looked everywhere and can't find that version.Thanks in advance

Then it's going to ask you to login. If you don't know your user name and password, you'll have to get with whoever set up licensing in your company or talk to your Novell sales rep to get that info.

Now, the other part of the question - whether you need a different/separate license for that or can just move that license over to the Windows box is one I can't answer - have never put Edirectory on a windows box.

My gut tells me it depends on your licensing agreement (type).

The other thing to mention is that I hope you're not just shutting down the Novell boxes first and then worrying about getting GroupWise moved over to the Windows servers later. This is a major project which should involve quite a bit of thought and planning.

We have a number of novell servers that will be shut down but will for now keep the master replica as well as the 3 gwia and groupwise servers.We know there is some planning that needs to be done so we are taking it one step at a time.We have that version ( 8.8.3 ) running already but we know it's an evaluation copy downloaded.I guess the rest is up Novell rep.Thanks

You know you have to remove the Novell servers from the Tree and clean up all the replica rings before just shutting them down. Otherwise, communications between servers and edirectory synchronization will be really hosed.

Hope I'm not treating you like an idiot. I worked somewhere once where a server was just shut down pushed into the corner and it took a bit of doing to get the server removed after it being off for 6 months.

Dumb - really dumb, but I was not there when it was turned off!!!

Yeah we have taken them out of the tree & replica and deleted the remnants per novell and then shut them down gracefully.The only idiot is the one that is not listening when someone is trying to help them. Thanks for the help.

There is no reason to run edir 8.6.2. You should be able to download and run edir 8.7.3. What version of GroupWise do you have? That is one thing you have not mentioned here.

You are licensed for eDirectory as long as you run GroupWise. GroupWise includes the eDir licenses (and the server licenses if you run it on Suse linux). Of course, this conversation is much simpler to have if you're talking about GroupWise 7, but I don't know what you're running so I can't say for sure.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back