Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Edimax EP-4103DL on Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toobusy

Technical User
Jul 23, 2002
NL
Hi everyone!

I'm having trouble with the following:

I used to run Windows 2000 Pro on my Acer TM 730TE notebook. Since a colleague of mine broke the built-in NIC, I use a dongleless Edimax PC card.

This weekend I updated to Windows XP Pro. Everything is working, up to the last program. Everything except that card... It will NOT work. Not automatically, not with supplied drivers.

I found dozens of 'right' drivers (RTL8139a etc) online, even especially for WinXP. I continuously get: 'The specified location does not contain information about your hardware.' That's not right.

What now?

TIA for all your help!

Eric aka Tech

Have you tried that link? It doesn't work, unfortunately.

I have downloaded all of the ones I COULD get from Edimax in Taiwan, however. EP-4103DLV122, EP-4103DLV22, EP-4103V12 etc... All of them.

They don't work. Any other suggestions?

Gr. Eric

Thank you, I appreciate your persistancy to help me. I really do. I do consider myself a Technical User, though. I have been trying for over 48 hours now.

The solution to this problem is bound to be more difficult than this. With all due respect of course. :)

Gr. Eric

Toobusy,

Does Device Manager see the device at all? Or does it see it with a yellow exclamation mark error?

I have had some success changing the default drivers XP discovers on installation for the cardbus controller on some notebooks. XP when possible will load a chipset specific cardbus driver. Some TI-cardbus controller chipsets do not work well with older PCMCIA adapters. By "upgrading" the device driver through Device Manager to the "Microsoft" standard cardbus driver the issue in some cases has been resolved.

bcastner,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried this today. I changed the driver for my Cardbus to 'Generic CardBus Controller'. I then rebooted by PC and checked if it had retained the new driver. When it did, I reinserted the NIC, but it still has the same problem.

It gets recognized as an 'Ethernet Adapter', but no driver is accepted as being the right one (where in Windows 2000 it did).

Gr. Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back