Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EDIINT - AS2 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2002
US
Code:
[COLOR=blue]Anyone here implemented or tested an AS2 solution? If so what software was used and with what trading partners?[/color]

Ebiz,

Sterling commerce offer an AS2 solution called EDIINT, this piece of software costs USD60,000.00 a little too much for what it does, we can run our mailbox via our VAN for a good few years on thats.

If any one has any costs of AS2 Software that can run with Gentran NT, please let me know.

Buzzbe,

Sterling is probably offering a whole suite of software, translation, as2, etc for that type of money. EDIINT is a general term for EDI OVER THE INTERNET so whatever they were offering you was actually called something else (I think). My suggestion is that you check the drummond.com web site for a list of EDIINT software suppliers. The $60,000 price you got was WAY over what some of the other supplier cost and if you check into it you will find there are some that are reasonable. What you spend depends on the volume and number of TP's you will be doing this with. We went with cleo lexicom... lower initial cost, but each additional host/tp cost $. This also works and integrates with Gentran if you want, or you can write your own scripts and processes to integrate. Off hand some of the other ediinit suppliers are: cleo, isoft, btrade, ipnet, and several others. You have to check into it for platforms, cost, how many host/tp supported, cost per host or bundle and watch out for the annual support $!

LEE

cheers lee, we only have 2 TP's that we want to set up AS2 for, thats why 60k is far too much. I'll have a gander at some of those sites you mentioned. Should get some bonus pionts from work if I get AS2 implimented :)

Buzzbe –

Sterling Commerce offers a package that will sit right on top of Gentran call GIS (Gentran Integrator Suit). I will be the happy recipient of this GIS next week. I know that the cost is significantly less than $60,000 and is scalable to your particular needs. You may not need all of the added features that we purchased but even with all the “bells and whistles” that we got the cost was still less than $60,000.

Have fun!!!
SOUPKID

Buzzbe,

I don't know much about STerlings GIS, but we use the Gentran server for Unix and may eventually go to the GIS product. Gentran server for unix is probably pretty much the same as your Gentran NT I think.

As I've said before we bought cleo lexicom for the NT and I know it can integrate. The lexicom NT product, 2 host license and first yr support cost us around $2500. We already had our dedicated internet connection and firewall inplace. It was really easy to setup, I think I had it up and testing my first partner in a day. Just a few minor problems because of lack of experience in this area, but cleo support helped me through them (mostly just fields filled in incorrectly). By following the guidelines with the product it was fairly straightforward.

I can't say whether other products are as easy or not, but I'm sure others can give their opinion.

LEE

As a Sterling customer, we purchased last year, When we rolled our AS/2 connection the Sterling sold to us Cleo Lexicom fo about $1500. This software product handles the AS/2 comm sessions for us. It also support our FTP, FTPs and even a VPN connection. I have found the product very easy to use, The 1500 dollar cost is quite reasonable and so far has run reliably on a dedicated server on our DMZ this year.
AS/2 Does not require a 'Web server'. The product listens on a specific port and responds to requests accordingly. Since the AS/2 protocols are based on ip tech it functions very much the same way as a web server.
Or, looking at it sideways, web servers use standard ip tech to perform it's comm tasks.

How are people using Gentran sending their documents to their AS2 communication software? Are you using FTP? Has anyone used biztalk with covast as2 here?

sbockh01,

Where ever you have gentran put the translated or look for documents you can get them/put them using any number of methods.

1) Once gentran's done you could ftp them to were the as2 software is looking for files to show up.

2) You could have the as2 software look in the gentran directories for files (across the network via mapped drive) or whatever.

3) scheduled batch file that copies the files to proper place.

Basically all have same result, and its is either you need something to move the files to where as2 is looking for them, or you need the as2 to look where gentran is putting them.

LEE

ls62,

Thanks for the feedback. Does gentran have the ability to MqSeries? I was thinking of using messaging for the transport.

Scott

sbockh01,

Sorry, I'm not familar with MqSeries, so someone else will have to help, or Call Sterling commerce and ask someone in sales. They should be able to answer your questions.

LEE

ftpplus -

Anti-spoofing in a firewall will help in preventing a faked IP address from gaining access to your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back