Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EDIINT AS2 "Converter" For PC's? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRB-Bldr

Programmer
May 17, 2001
US
I have a small client working a PC network who is now among the many who are scrambling to get a non-service center oriented solution for Wal-Mart's upcoming EDIINT AS2 test (end of Dec/early Jan).

After looking over a number of postings within this forum, I see quite a few suggested solutions for the Unix and AS400 world, but I did not notice mention of PC based in-house solutions.

My client is already creating and sending valid EDI ANSI X12 documents. Therefore it seems logical (maybe??) that some software package(s) exists to finish the "job" and make it ready ("convert it") for EDIINT AS2 transmission. And vice versa for document receipt.

Any suggestions that you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

HI,

Are you in the states? PLease tell me the details about What software your clients are using to create EDI X12 files and what kind software for sending X12 files?

I don't think there's any conversion necessary for your files, the AS2 communications is just what delivers the file for you, and 'listens' for incoming documents. Hope this helps. There're other AS2 threads that you might want to check out for more information.

To edisky:
Yes, we are in the states. We are using an old DOS version of AccPac accounting software and a custom program (created by me) to create the ANSI X12 EDI format files. We then use one of the many "generic" EDI file transmission programs to send it to our trading partner(s) via modem.

To edianalyst:
"I don't think there's any conversion necessary for your files, the AS2 communications is just what delivers the file for you, and 'listens' for incoming documents."

Well, Yes and No.

From my newly obtained and admittedly limited understanding of EDIINT AS2, the EDI data needs to be encrypted ("secured"), wrapped in the appropriate "container" (XML?) and then transmitted. Vice versa on transmission receipt.

That process is, in my definition, a "conversion" prior to transmission and after receipt.

Since we have already accomplished the tough-stuff of putting together the ANSI X12 EDI data format files, I wanted to find a PC based software tool to take the hand-off of the EDI file and complete the process.

Any suggestions and/or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
CIOServices@yahoo.com

The AS2 communications software handles all the encryption before transmission, ensures you used the correct encryption method for the particular TP and matches the encryption after receiption, it also handles all the MDNs and generation of certificates/and all related certificates issues.

To edianalyst:
That's fine and what I expected. It not only handles the transmission/receipt of the file; it also performs the "conversion" of the data into and out of the appropriate EDIINT AS2 format which includes securing (encrypting) the data.

Now returning to my original question -- what software packages are out there which will do that function for the PC-based environment? Especially the more reasonably priced packages.

Thanks,
JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
CIOServices@yahoo.com

I've only had experience with bTrade's TDAccess and Cleo's Lexicom. Lexicom is very reasonably priced.

From what I understand, Wal-Mart will not be transmitting in the normal way.

"Wal-Mart will use AS2 to "push" files to your system. In other words, instead of Wal-Mart waiting for you to connect to them and send a request for them to send you their files they will forward files to your local system as soon as they have been queued to their network. Your system will automatically send back an acknowledgment telling Wal-Mart that the files have been received successfully. This will require you to continually keep your system available, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. "

I am currently migrating to a software package called EDISoft. I don't know what volume of tramsmissions you expect to receive, but I can process about 1500 orders a week using this and a W2K server.

Edisoft has written an integration script to be used with Cleo Communication's Lexicon module

Tyrone Lumley
augerinn@gte.net

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
CIOServices@yahoo.com

hi everyone, I have been looking at all the info regarding EDIINT and AS2 protocol. Do you think this can work for a banking in terms of bill payments?
That is to allow Internet banking customers to make bill payments that can reach the billing companyby the next day.
I work at a local bank in the Caribbean and here many things are still new to us. One of our major concerns is the cost of implementing a new system and how difficult would it be to alter the existing system.
We have other options, however I have been looking into EDIINT and AS2 and I think that this may work well. Could someone tell me exactly what may be involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back