Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EDI Workflow tools 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvvolkman

Programmer
Mar 15, 2004
US
I am looking for tools that assist with EDI workflow. For instance, those that allow you to create a process to receive a file via FTP (or network location), manipulate, e-mail, rename, the file etc., as well as the ability to run command line programs anywhere in the process (for instance, PGP encryption/decryption). Additionally, I would like to be able to schedule those automated processes accordingly. Sybase has a good tool called ECGateway (uses ECMap as the x12 translation mapping tool), but I'm wondering if anyone knows of anything similar to this.

The mapping tool is not my primary interest. The workflow is the most important, to set up an automated environment.

Thank you.

You don't have to use ECMap tool in your EDI flow. You can simply use EC Gateway (Sybase) to do very much what you described. In EC Gateway, there is a command call "route", basically it rountes your EDI transactions from one Trade Partner to another. In addition, there is a third party built in called Scheduler. U can also use Scheduler to automate your EDI process.

Thanks...
MC,

Thanks MC. We actually do use ECGateway right now. I was looking for alternate, comparable tools. Thanks.

Hi jvvolkman,

You can also use FTM and Tidal Scheduler to automate. FTM can pick up EDI transactions from a FTP Server, then rename and copy/move to a different Server for processing. Once files are processed (translated), FTM can move processed files back to FTP Server for pickup. The whole thing can be automated by Tidal Scheduler.

MC,

I need help on how to use FTM and Tidal Scheduler to automate.

Inovis BizManager Bizlink will give you everything you need to 'move the data around'. You can get the mapper as an additional service but it's not required. The application is also easy to implement and support so your company does not have to spend money hiring outside of your team for daily functions/updates.

I'll second JCA405's advice on using BizLink. Very good product and quite versatile.

Yup. It's a product that current EDI staff can successfully support (huge for me...why buy something that no one knows how to use and that requires several classes in order to attempt to manage it?). That's called a big ole' money pit if you ask me.... If you demo it then make sure GXS/Inovis provides at least two contacts from their customer pool that you can talk to from a user perspective (related to your field of expertise - healthcare, right?). If that's not possible then they need to demo the product completely using scenarios that you define based on your projects/support processes. From past experience, they don't demo the product very well...not sure why because the tool is great and they are paid based on commission. Oh well. What do I know, right? :)

Not sure of this is of help but we outsource our EDI and supply chain process mapping(s) to Perceptant ( It's all handled on a fixed price/time basis and we simply connect to their cloud via AS/2 and access web applications that send/receive messages and apply workflow and business rules.

ECS by Softshare, now Liaison could do this as well. It has the ability to run VBscripts, command files,executables, schedule jobs, integrate to http, Smtp, S/FTP, AS2, SaaS, automatic file pickup. Delta is used as the integration tool. Global variables are created and then used to name files before they are sent out. I have developed in this for three years now. They also have a enterprise level that load balances between servers. In Delta there is a solutions manager to maintain a project. Great stuff!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back