Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EDI 855/856 versus 857 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckisr

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2004
US
I have been given the task of implementing EDI 855/856. When I started researching, I found EDI 857 that looks like it might be a better fit for our business since we don't require shipping documents.

We will use the EDI transactions for spare parts order acknowledgements and pre-ship notifications.

I'd appreciate information on business justification, what the transactions do exactly, pros/cons of each, and a comparison of 855/856 to 857.

I know this is a big order but any direction I can get would be useful.

Thanks

buckisr

I have never used the 857. I can tell you what I know about the other 2:
855 - We use this to acknowledge certain types of P/Os (850). The way we use it, it is a simple document that specifies the p/o# and either AK to acknowledge or RJ to reject. We would reject the P/O if there is something wrong with pricing, quantities, delivery info etc.
856 - We use this to notify our customer of shipment info. Usually must be sent before or immediately after shipment leaves the dock. Contains detailed shipment info including UCC128 barcode #s from cartons, contents for each carton, weight, carrier, ship-to info etc. I think the primary purpose of this is for customers to be able to place cartons on a conveyer with a scanner and automatically update receiving records by comparing barcode label to 856 data.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Below entire message below is a quote from DISA (Data Interchange Standards Association, INC.) and NOT my own words. But I believe this is the answer you are looking for.

-------------------------------
857 Shipment and Billing Notice
-------------------------------
This Draft Standard for Trial Use contains the format and establishes the data contents of the
Shipment and Billing Notice Transaction Set (857) for use within the context of an Electronic Data
Interchange (EDI) environment. This transaction set provides the recipient of a shipment with data for
both receipt planning and payment generation.
EDI and telecommunications technologies suggest efficiencies in the way business data is
processed. For example, the sender of a shipment may send the recipient’s receiving function a Ship
Notice/Manifest (856), and the payables function an Invoice (810), even though the contents of these
two documents may be largely redundant. In certain business environments, the Shipment and Billing
Notice permits the consolidation of these two documents into one.
Specifically, this transaction set is appropriate where the shipment data, when it includes terms and
item prices, can be used both to plan receipts and to generate payment. In this environment, the
exact prices for the items shipped may not be known in advance by both parties. This transaction set
is not appropriate in so-called Evaluated Receipts Settlement (ERS) environments, in which the exact
prices for the items shipped have been agreed upon by, and are known to, both parties in advance.
This transaction set is not to be used to replace the Ship Notice/Manifest (856) or Invoice (810)
individually, but only to replace both, together. For example, do not use this transaction set in place of
a Ship Notice/Manifest while continuing to send either paper or electronic invoice.

One very important piece of information you need is what will your trading patners allow, require and demand.
This can be quite different for each tp. Does your application allow you to set up different versions for each tp? Someone might want a 4010, another 4030 etc.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back