Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Edge x15 WAN Configuration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

incydent

Technical User
Jan 30, 2009
GB
Hello everybody, I have read many threads but this is the first time i've posted so i hope someone may be able to clarify and help!! My question is similar to GeorgeTuks thread regarding the modem.
This is the first time i have configured a hardware firewall and am trying to configure the external interface. We currently have a dsl modem with built in features such as dhcp, port-forwarding and firewall. We have one public static ip address. Basically after reading the manual and a few other threads i'm a little confused over the WAN settings, Currently our domain name points to our static ip which is used on the dsl modem. The modem internal interface then forwards traffic to our router, the internal interface of the modem and external of the router have static private ip address's. The LAN has a different private scope.
When i replace the router with the edge x15 unit is it just a question of using the WAN setting 'static' and giving the external interface the same static ip as i used on the router? The point i'm actually confused about is that the choices are static, dhcp etc..
I'm just pressuming that the dhcp with log in details would be for a cable modem?
Thanks for reading...

Normally in this situation I've been setting the DSL modem to use "transparent bridging" so that the static public IP is passed through to whatever device is behind the modem. Then you'd manually configure that static public IP on the WAN interface of the Edge device.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Thanks ShackDaddy,
I will see if my modem has that capability. Will post back...

Hello, just to update put the modem into bridging mode. had to set the edge through dhcp on the WAN interface because I couldn't put the user / pass combo in under static? however it has been allocated all the correct info via ISP and seems to be working ok, don't know if the static IP allocated to us will be affected at any point, will have to see.
Anyway Thanks very much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back