Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Edge Transport w/Forefront or Barracuda Appliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyakabachi

Technical User
Jan 9, 2003
US
Does anyone have any experience with either the Edge Transport with Forefront or the Barracuda appliance in Exchange 2007 environment. We currently have the Barracuda appliance but with our migration to Exchange 2007 we are looking at other options, specifically the Edge Transport with Forefront.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the Barracuda quarantines messages outside of our network...i.e. on the Barracuda appliance, where as the Edge with Forefront allows quarantine messages through the network and stores it in users Outlook junk folder.

Thanks for any input and recommendations.

The Barracuda can be setup either to discard the messages or store them in the users (or another) mailbox.

I've been using a Barracuda for several years now and when I migrate to E2K7 later this month I'll retain the Barracuda. I'm going with just a single Exchange server so I like the fact that if I take the server offline all my incoming will wait on the Barracuda until I restore the Exchange server.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

The nice thing about the ET box is that it agregates the safe sender lists for all users, and acts accordingly on a per user basis. You can also block based on non-existing user accounts, since the Edge box would have a copy of the user list.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

How is messages quarantined and managed using Forefront. For the Barracuda, I know that they are stored on the appliance and not on the mail server/mailbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back