Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EDB grows too fast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Microhard

MIS
Apr 2, 2001
US
This is the message I get:

The MTA is terminating because the disk where MTADATA is located has less than 10MB of space, or an error occurred while trying to check for free space on the disk. If disk space is low, free up some disk space and restart the MTA. NT Error code returned: 0 (non-zero indicates an error while checking for free space) [BASE IL TIMER 3] (16)

Reason for this message coming up is that the MDBDATA folder that holds the EDB*.TXT files is growing too fast. See the backup software is suppose to prune this database I know. BUT...I have a email in to them to see if I can get an answer from them and see if they can address this. However, I think that this is the problem that the Exchange server is making multiple EDB entried perday at 5mb a file. I see for instance that on the 12th there are 17 entries in the folder for that day. Why is the server making so many dang files? What can I do to correct this, help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

What size is the disk you are using for Exchange? - is it just one disk, or do you have more.

How many users are there (i.e. real people generating mail).

It is a drive that has 2.5 gb left on it at the moment, and there is only 45 people using this server. I have received a new server to replace this one, but that will not address the issue. See if I have 100gb free and my Exchange server is making 17 5mb files a day. It isn't going to take 117 days and I will be here again. The underlining problem is that the server is making all these files for some reason.

My questions are:

1. Why is the server doing this?

2. How do I make this stop from hapening?

Thanks!

Are you backing up this server using an Exchange agent? If so, are you flushing committed logs?

Are you doing any logging of emails? Particularly on the IMC (check the tick box of the IMC). If you stop logging it, you won't get this trouble. I think it is only generating log files.

The other option is to create a compressed volume (don't start on me, it works). Drop your text files there as they will take up a fraction of the room...

I would think twice about compressing the drive. I had a client that had compressed drives and for some reason when we tried to restore we could not restore to a compressed drive using Backup Exec 7.1. We had to install a new exchange box and not join the site then restore to the new box then join the site and drop the old box.
hth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back