Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ECS mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartd

Programmer
Jan 8, 2001
US
I am looking at a budget ECS mobo with SIS chipset on.

Any good?

I have used three of these boards using a 900 Mhz and 1 Gbyte Duron cpu's and am currently using a 1.2 Gbyte Athalon cpu. No problems. I think its good value for your money.

This SIS chipset really did take everone by surprise 10-11 months ago when it was introduced. Outperforming the AMD 760/761, Via KT266 and Ali Magik 1 chipsets (AMD 761 best at that time) nobody could quite believe SIS (known for it's budget underperforming chips) had produced a monster killer, single chip solution that was beating the rest.
Things have moved on since then, the Via KT266a and KT333 being the best now but this SIS chip still rocks and offers great value/performance.
I too have used many of these boards, early ones did have a few issues but the latest 3.1 release is fine!
they do run better with DDR memory, infact many problems are sorted by swopping from SDR to DDR.
ECS does offer another board based on the slightly better KT266a chipset (fairly sure it carn't use SDram)
But would be a better BUDGET option with DDR.
Martin
Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Which side of the tracks are you going,AMD or Intel.I have used both the P6S5AT with Celerons and the K7S6A running AtlonXP 1700+.The only issue was with the P6S5AT cpu fan not running.This requires a bios flash or an adaptor cable to run power to the fan from the power supply.I found both boards ran remarkably well and were very solid.The SIS chipset while surpassed slightly in performance by KT266A runs quite cool.
For a budget board I like them.
May or may not be relevant.

WE just bought a PC with this motherboard and it is great for the money or any money for that matter. We added some things to the system and it is still running like a top with the XP1800 CPU, 1GB DDR RAM, DVD 16X, CDRW, DVD-R, 60GB HD, floppy, DSL, Modem, 64MB ATI RADEON 7500 All-In-Wonder Video card. It rocks!

ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

I have the K7S5A Mobo, 128 SDRAM, and Athlon 900, and would like to know which DDR is better for this board. They have DDR2100 and another one.

DDR 2100 for this board (the common type)
As you have a 900 T/bird with a 200fsb and not the 266fsb variety, the performance gain will be small but combined with a future processor upgrade maybe worth it in the long run. Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

I have built 3 systems using two different ECS boards. Had a problem with one driver, however overall it was a good experience and I would recommend building a system using one of the ECS motherboards.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back