Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Echoing on new 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

donporter

IS-IT--Management
Aug 6, 2004
US
I have two locations that I need to troubleshoot for echoing on the phones.
They are both new and both using 1FB loop. Were do I start test?

DP

This may be part of a known issue that has been addressed in 5.0.6 which was released about 2 weeks ago.

I just finished a wrestling match with two of these myself. Both V3000s were purchased at the same time, and both exhibited the same symptoms. 5.0.6 helped, but did not completely get rid of the echo. The loop current was high on the analog lines which I've always seen to be a contributing factor to echo, but bringing the current down from 44ma to 26 still did not completely eliminate the problem, either. In the end, I had to swap out both units and the problems went away. Bad production run???

Did you get a case opened and 3Com said that it might be a bad batch?
I need to not spend to much time working on the problem. If it is a known bad batch.

I did have a case open on one of them, but I requested the RMAs on my own initiative. I only suspect that there could have been a production problem since I ordered these two at the same time and had the exact same problem with them. Also, the trouble went away immediately after replacing the chassis.

Just an update to my progression with this problem. The V3000s that I got back from 3COM came in with 4.4.2 code, and I left them with 4.4.8 because it was late in the day and I hadn't got 5.x the license codes yet. This has been nagging at me, so I took one off the shelf that had 4.4.2 today and put it through the wringer checking for echo. It worked well until I upgraded it to 5.0.6, and I immediately got the echo. Problem is, when I went back to 4.4.2, the echo did not go away. If you watch the console screen while you're doing the upgrade to 5.x, it does a firmware update. I'm wondering if it's changing the charactaristics of the hardware somehow and causing this echo problem. I am opening a case on this box Monday morning, and I'll let you know what I find out. In the meantime, has anybody else seen anything similar?

But when you have brought back the sw to 4.4.2 also you have replaced the coutry pack for the 4.4.2?

No, I did not replace the country pack. I will try this on Monday, and I am also going to try deleteng 4.4.8 from the unit and re-installing it. I hope that this will make a difference. Thanks for the post.

Ok, remembers to you that it is country pack that the setting all the values on the trunk for your country.

Talked to the 3com people. There is a bug in the handsets for 4.4.7 to 4.4.12 also 5.0.0 but fixed ine 5.0.6.
They are sending me an update.

In one of my installations 5.0.6 almost gets rid of it, but not quite. I have a case open and engineering is working on it right now. My other installation is rock solid with 5.0.6, so you'll probably be OK with just that.

We've been seening this on 5.0 and the new 5.06 code, but using a pri & a T1... Anyone aware of the echo issue on anything other than analog trunks?

Thanks

As a 3COM dealer, I have not heard of this problem. However, I will bring it up with an engineer and see if there was something being reported, judging from the threads, there might be something. I'm a tech, so it is worth it to know if there might be a problem that I need to know about. Send me an email if I can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back