Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EBay purchased Backup Exec? Is it legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2005
US
I see some big dealers selling the software for really cheap so I was thinking about buying but I just wanted to know if anyone else has and if I'll have any problems with licensing? I'm looking at version 11 or newer and what I've found is it looks like it's a CD with the key for pretty cheap. Thanks for any info.

I think any of that is a roll of the dice. You wont get any support unless you pay for a support contract or pay per incident if you need help from symantec.

I really don't need their support since Symantec bought Veritas the support has really gone down hill. I just don't want to get burned on licensing since this is for my work.

Well I think you answered your own question. Would you rather save a couple dollars and not be in compliance if you get audit or spend the money and know your legal.

Well if they give me a legitimate license I would think I'd be OK. I would think if some of the big dealers on EBay that are selling them are illegal that Symantec would have busted them by now.

Before buying, do an ask seller a question option, ask for the serial number or something similar so that you can check with Symantec that it is kosher. If they do not do that then ask them for a 7 day money back offer, buy it THEN check with Symantec (as them giving you a serial no puts them in a tricky position). If Symantec say it is duff, go to eBay, otherwise you've saved a few bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back