Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy way to setup Notes for new user? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

crisc

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2001
US
Everytime I do this, it seems like I have to go through a bunch of necessary steps.
Short of uninstalling and reinstalling, I just want to know the easiest way to get Notes ready to go for a new user. It's currently setup for a user who is no longer with the company, so retaining any old information is unnecessary. Is there a way to invoke the Setup Wizard the way it does the 1st time Notes is run? If not, what exactly do I need to delete/remove? I already have the new user's ID file in place.

Delete (Or backup) the Old user's names.nsf, user.id, favorites.nsf, desktop.dsk and bookmark.nsf (depends if its R4 or R5 ) Delete all lines in the notes.ini except the first 4, save and close. Now when you start the notes client it will go through the setup process with out having to uninstall and reinstall the client. Its been a little while since I've done it, you might want to run through a test to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Thx elitest. It seems to be working on the test PC.
One note, in the Notes\Data folder there were 2 "bookmark" files. I deleted them both (along with the other ones you mentioned) and went through the setup wizard.
Once I completed the setup and it tried launching Notes, I kept getting a "File not Found" error, followed by Notes exiting automatically. This happened each time I tried launching it.
I took a guess, and replaced one of the bookmark files, and this fixed the problem. All traces of the old user are gone, and the new profile is working great.
Thanks again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back