Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy vpn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry211

Technical User
Jan 14, 2006
GB
Hi, i need to configure an 837 adsl router to replace the existing router in case of failure (as a backup), we have a remote office which connects to our network through a vpn connection which is presumably "nailed" up through the routers (the connection works without using the client software)Iam unfamiliar with cisco ios and was hoping to use the crws interface to simply copy the settings from the current router to the backup but the crws will not load (fails on checking ios version), my understanding is that using the easy vpn feature one router acts as a client and the other as a server but on the router i have for the backup the easy vpn only has either client or extended network modes, the ios version is 12.3(11, do i have the correct version or am i barking up the wrong tree?, i can access the original router via telnet if neccesary.

If you are going from an 837 into another 837 then you could just tftp the running config of main router into startup config of backup. If not then save a text copy of main router then using a text editer modify the interface numbers as needed and copy and paste the config into the backup router. Remember to do this via console cable as when you copy new IP addresses you will kill any telnet connection you have to it.

Thanks, I used a program from solarwinds to download the config and upload it into the new router without problem (still to test it though).
Again on a similar subject we have to do the same for the router at the branch office but all attempts to access it have failed, we do not know the passwords, the router was set up by a 3rd party who no longer have the information and i need to copy the config without taking the router out of action if at all possible, is this possible?.

If you have to perform password recovery the router will have to be taken offline. The configuration will remain intact if the correct procedure is followed for resetting the password. I would try to attach with a console cable first and see if it will let you in through that port. If it requires a username and password try the defualt username "cisco" and password "cisco"....maybe they left that original user in the config.

Ok, I will have a go the next time Iam over there, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back