Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy question from newbie :-) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorGirl

Technical User
Oct 16, 2003
NO
Hello,

I've made a accessdatebase with info on my company's customers.

I want to share the form I've created with my colleague. But I don't want him to have to open access to view the form, I want him to be able to access the form directly!
How do I do that?

As far as I'm aware, you can't.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

There are better ways to do this using Access security, startup settings and the likes, but you can also use the following method:

Create a duplicate of the form, set the following properties:

Allow Form View - Yes
Allow Datasheet View - No
Allow PivotTableView - No
Allow PivotChartView - No
Allow Edits - (If you want the use to be able to edit data, yes, if not, no)
Allow Deletions - See above
Allow Additions - See Above
Data Entry - If you want the user to have a blank form on open, set to yes. If you want the user to be able to see all the records, set to no.
Scroll Bars - (a personal preference, I set them to no and make the whole form visible all the time (using subforms if necessary))
Navigation Buttons - No
Auto Resize - No
Auto Center - No
Popup - Yes
Modal - Yes
Border Style - Dialog
Control Box - No
Min Max Buttons - No
Close Button - No
Shortcut Menu - No

Add a close button to the form that closes the database (you can use a wizard for this if you need to). Now create a desktop shortcut to the form. To do this, in the database window right click on the form, select "Create Shortcut."

Doing the above will let the person open the database directly to the form, use only that form, and then exit the database. I think this is what you were asking for.

I should have added to my above post that this method will still open Access, it will just do it directly to the form you want. Again, there are better ways than the above to do it, using security and startup settings, but that should work too.........

----
Access 2002 on a mixed Windows OS network.

If you are using the company intranet is it possible for her to make a data access page and link it to a website so that the other person can use the database without ever opening access. Im just a technical user but I think the concept might work, I would ask some of the more experienced people in here.

Hope I helped and didnt confuse
Neo

DAP will work in principal, but it depends on the complexity of the form. Forms allow for a *lot* more advanced features than data access pages.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

If the ultimate goal is to create a form and allow the user to see and use the form but not make any changes, the following would make it rather impossible to change the original "main" form you use.

1) Open your database
2) Follow DCurtis' idea on the form set up
3) Make sure there is a button to close the database on the form
4) Use Tool - Database Utilities - Make MDE file.
5) Open MDE file
6) Delete all tables
7) File - Link tables - back to original database
8) In the MDE file, right click - Properties - on each item you wish to hide (tables/queries) and check "Hidden"
9) New macro on MDE file:
Name: AutoExec
Action: OpenForm
Form Name: "Name of your Form"
Action: Maximize
8) Then have the "restricted" user copy the MDE copy onto their desktop or another destination.

The above will:
A) Update the tables on the original database (the unrestriced one)
B) Automatically open the database of the restricted user onto the form
C) Allow restricted user to do what you give them permission to do (Via add record, edit record, delete, etc.)
D) By Hidding the tables and queries, it sometimes deters the "exporing" if they happen to find away around the startup and close button.
E) Also, this will keep the format of the form the same. By giving the user a MDE file, you are giving them a file to use not change. MDE files are basically read only. They can see the form but not change the design or any code you may have written even if they find away around the AutoExec and/or "Close" button.

This is what I have found to be the quickest and best way to secure a DB that is not "Critical". For "Critical" databases, VBA code works best. However, please note that if you use the MDE file, any time you need to change the form, a new MDE file will be needed.

Hope this helps,

PBrown

Thank you for any and all help,

PBrown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back