Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy Proxy Switch for LAN -vs- Cable Modem (wireless)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VMWiseGuy

Programmer
Dec 14, 2001
US
I have a Thinkpad running Win2K Pro SP2. During the day I have it at work connected to my corporate LAN that requires a proxy server to get out to the Internet. At home I have a cable modem that I use via Wireless to connect to the Internet.

The problem is, it's a slight pain to have to go into IE (version 6) tools, internet options, connections, LAN settings, and either select or de-select the "Use automatic configuration script" depending on how I am connected.

Is there anything available to help me do this easier? What I would love is a button on IE's toolbar to do a Proxy On/Off.

It is interesting that IE has independent Proxy settings for all the dial-in connections, but my "LAN" connections use only one setting. I have a network connection entry for direct LAN and one for the wireless card; I kind of thought IE would be smarter and allow settings for either. (Ha!)

I have found the following registry keys to update that will turn the proxy on and off, but this isn't the safest thing to do either:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"AutoConfigURL"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections]
"DefaultConnectionSettings"
"SavedLegacySettings"

Anyone have some ideas? THANKS! JSV

JSV,

I like using different Hardware Profiles, myself. When booting up, you'll get asked which you want to use, and I usually name them: "Work", and "Home".

After duplicating your existing Hardware profile, and renaming them the way you want:

1.) Boot into the "Home" configuration, and once there, disable the NIC in that profile only.
2.) Boot into the "Work" profile, and disable the I/R interface that you use at home, (If you don't need it at work.

This also has the benefit of disabling the attendent broadcasting on those devices that you don't use!

:)

That is actually a very good idea - thanks! One little problem is that my wireless is via a PC Card, not the IR. I can't disable the PC Card slots at work since I use them there too.

I found a tool out on the internet to switch proxies or disable them, but it wanted to replace system files. No way! I ended up writing some code to flip the 'proxy script' flag in the registry and switching my home page from my work one to a local one. It works fairly well so far, but if there is a better idea I am open to suggestions.

Thanks again for the reply. JSV

VMWiseGuy,

Sorry that I didn't read carefully enough - but if the wireless is a pcmcia card, it can be disabled without affecting whatever is in the other slot.

You know what I've always wished for? The ability to change DNS settings! I have my own DNS Server at home, and different ones at work - no matter I do, (short of dual booting), you can only use one set of DNS stuff - Ah, Microsoft!

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back