Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy DOS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenoWV

Technical User
Mar 16, 2002
US
I came to Windows after the days of DOS, so am not familiar with all it's commands. If my system starts to act a little shakey, I will often boot from the emergency floppy, then do the A>Scandisk /all command. When it finishes, I exit.

Here's my question. When the A> comes back after exit, is there a DOS command I can use to reboot directly from the C drive? I tried to do A>restart, but that wants to open from the floppy. If I eject the floppy and do A>restart, it tells me it can't find the floppy.

I'd like to type in the command, eject the floppy, and boot directly from Windows -- can I do that? For example, if I type C>restart (with the floppy ejected), will that work?

I don't recall any dos command that would restart the computer although I remember a utility called warmboot that did that. I did a quick check of my util box but I couldn't find it. Looks like you are stuck with the three-finger reboot or reset switch.

Once the system is booted to an operating system it needs to be rebooted to change that.When you boot to the A drive, you have provided an operating system if it is a boot disk.

You have to reboot to change operating systems....if you reboot first, and THEN eject the floppy...for example hit ctrl, alt, del and wait for the ram to count, then you will not get any errors for removing it.

Hope this helps....and I am a DOS geek from WAY back :) Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

The old type C:\>windows command has been gone since the Windows 3.1 days. I have searched and searched for this years ago and could not find anything at that time. I am pretty sure there is some kind of freeware/shareware that will allow you to do this, but the easiest way to do this is the old 3 finger salute.

If you are wanting to just go back to windows type win at the C:\ prompt. Jim

[cat2] [americanflag]

Cant do the above if you have booted from a disk...if you are in a command prompt from within windows you can type exit. Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

There are a potful of drivers that need to be loaded to get to windows GUI.
Just so you know what is missing and keeping you from using the win command like 3.1 allowed, do a bootlog one time then look in it. Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hi renoWV, if you want to boot into windows from the A:\> prompt use the ctrl+alt+dlt keys (once ofcourse you've removed the floppy), this works for me on my machine and I'm pretty sure its not an IBM feature.

Good Luck

It works if the bootsector of the HD is ok and if booting from HD has not been excluded in BIOS settings. (Press DEL at bootup to enter BIOS.)

You guys are right. I've been using wfw311 lately and had the win command on my mind. Sorry about that. Jim

[cat2] [americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back