Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EASY CD CREATOR V5 PLAT. ENGINE DOES NOT INITIALIZE

Status
Not open for further replies.

usatech

Technical User
Apr 25, 2002
US
Hi All,

Can somebody please help me with the following problem:

I recently upgraded my CD burning software from Adaptec's Easy CD Creator v3.5c to Roxio's Easy CD Creator v5.0 Platinum and I am receiving the following error message when I click on 'Make a Music CD', 'Music CD Project':

"Creator API

Easy CD Creator Engine initialization has failed: (Could not Initialize the Engine)"

I went on to Roxio's support web site & searched the Knowledgebase, which stated that I should uninstall the software & then re-install it. So I did but still received the same error message. I even updated Easy CD Creator, Soundstream, DirectCD & the drivers from Roxio's website, but without success, I was still getting the error message.
Furthermore, when I click 'OK' on the error message, I'm taken to the 'Untitled Music CD Project' screen & when I click on my audio files in the Source window, I get an error message that says "There are no audio files in this folder" when in fact there are, MP3's & WAV's (I guess if there's no data in the database engine, audio files may not be recognized, but Soundstream recognizes the files easily...???? beats me...I dunno).
My ASPI layer seems to be fine and up to date and also I think I have the latest Codecs since I have the latest version of Windows Media Player (if that's the problem). I should also mention that I did a clean uninstall before re-installing the software.
I just cannot figure out what the problem is.

Your assistance would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

B-)

I had this problem once. I believe what I did was go into safe mode, uninstall all versions of easy cd creator and reboot. Then I went to the roxio website to download the patch for my os (win2k). With the patch downloaded, I installed easy cd creator without take2, did not reboot when it asked, applied the patch and then rebooted. It seemed to work for me.

SoulAssassin,

Thank you very much for your response, I appreciate it.

I tried your solution and it did not work. In fact in addition to the above error, now I'm getting an error that says "CREATR50 caused an invalid page fault in module CREATOR.DLL".

Any suggestions.

BTW My OS is Windows 98SE

B-)

SoulAssassin,

Roxio just posted a new fix for the Engine Initialization error on their Knowledgebase website and it involved registering the DLL's in the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CDEngine\" directory. Firstly, you had to make sure that your "regsvr32.exe" was current and up to date. Secondly, the "ACMWrapperV2, MediaPlayerV2, CDEngine & DriversV2" DLL's had to be registered using either "Start-Run" & typing in the dialog box or by registering from the Command prompt.

Needless to say, I tried everything in this new fix and it did not work at all.

Now I'm getting kinda desperate since I work in the MIS department of a large Engineering organization & we use Easy CD Creator to burn CD's of AutoCAD drawings, reports, PDF files, etc. and ship to clients.

Does somebody, anybody know of a solution ?

OS Windows 98SE hooked up to a network with Novell and NetWare for Novell.
Intel PIII Processor 333MHz

B-)

I am very close to solving the initialization problem, however I am missing a file called "enginst.exe".
Can somebody please point me in the right direction as to where I can obtain this file.

Your help would be most appreciated.

TIA.

B-)

Does anybody know where I could find this file please ?

I've looked on the Roxio CD, it is not there.
I've looked on the Internet (Google) and the only "enginst.exe" file that I found was corrupt.

TIA

B-)

I found this information it is more for version 4 but possibly the file is in the same place.
1. Locate ENGINST.EXE on the Easy CD Creator 4 installation CD - \Disk1\ECDC\ECDCEng\Enginst.exe

2. Copy the file to a local hard drive

3. Start Windows in Safe Mode and run the ENGINST.EXE file

4. Restart the system and CD Creator should work correctly.

futuretech,

Thanks for your response, much appreciate it.

Roxio just informed me that they made a mistake, the file is definitely found on the Easy CD Creator 4 CD, which should work for EZCD5 Platinum, just like you mentioned.

Now I just gotta locate a EZCD4 CD.

Thanks once again.

B-)

futuretech,

Thanks for the link, in fact tech support from the folks who made my computer suggested that I download this file & install it, which I did. Unfortunately this file was corrupt.

B-)

Thanks for all your help people. I finally got sick & tired of trying to fix EZCD5 and so we trashed it. We eventually bought Nero - Burning ROM and it works beautifully. So Roxio, you can shove your software. Pity though, we've used Easy CD Creator for a long time (when it was supported by Adaptec and the much more stable version 4). Nero burns faster too.

B-)

I have the same problem with easy cd creator. Whoever wrote this problem sounds exactly like me with what the computer says and re installing everything etc! I have read the message board 2 times and I'm still confused how do you solve this problem Please Help!

your problem comes from registry entries from your old ezcd program. simply uninstalling doesn't help much. I had this problem and could never solve it. Recording software doesn't like to "play with the other kids on the playground".
even Nero will recognise adaptec or roxio software on install and tell you to ditch them first.
I finally did get to install v.5 platinum, but only after adding a new harddrive and new installation of windows.

I feel a bit better in reading that i'm not the only one who is going CRAZY trying to fix 'Engine Initialization Failed' and my program not recognizing my music files. I have spent a rediculous amount of time trying to fix the EXACT above metioned problems. Nothing seems to work.
HOWEVER, I do know that my problem started with the KLEZ VIRUS. Roxio notes that this can affect present and future "easy cd" instilations. AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH. I give up. Nero will have to do i guess. But....that said, if anyone has any further information, please pass on.

go here

run thier fix and or Engsetup.exe if it fails get regsv32.exe go to steps 17 and 18 if all is in order
these steps register the dll files then try to run easy cd
this worked for me i evn pasted the whole page below
my god every time i look for a fix i only find guys in the same boat as me! the one guy above is a pro and has no answer! geeezzz well this worked for me and i was almost stuck aswell........i dont have autocad clients deadlines etc just a cd for my sis !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then go here and read!

>>> Note: This article is intended for advanced users. <<<

Open &quot;My Computer&quot; and browse to C:\Program Files\ Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CDEngine to verify the following required .dll files

a) Acmwrapperv2.dll
b) Cdngine.dll
c) Driversv2.dll
d) Mediaplayerv2.dll

If the above files are present please skip to step 7
If the above fie are not present you will need to run engine setup.exe from the Roxio installation CD.

1. Insert the Roxio Installation CD in your CD drive. (If asked if you would like to install choose &quot;No&quot;)
2. Click the Start button then right click &quot;My Computer&quot; and select &quot;Explore.&quot; Open the Roxio install CD by Clicking on the CD drive it resides in
3. Locate and double click the folder &quot;Engsetup&quot;
4. Double click the file &quot;Engsetup.exe&quot; and click the &quot;Install&quot; Button
5. If the installation fails your may need to update your regsvr32.exe file Please visit the following Microsoft link to download this file.
6. 7. Once this file has been downloaded to your computer, you will have to extract it to C:\Windows\System32 C:\Windows\Syytem or C:\WINNT\System32 depending on your Operating system and Installation configuration.
8. First determine which folder contains your default copy of Regsrv32.exe.
9. Go to &quot;Start&quot; and choose &quot;Search&quot; or &quot;Find&quot; depending on your Operating System
10. Choose Files and Folders.
11. Make sure that you have your Local Hard drive C: selected to &quot;Look In&quot;
12. Type &quot;regsvr32.exe&quot;, your search may display several files. Pleas pay attention to the file in C:\Windows\System, C:\WINNT\System32 or C:\Windows\System32 depending on the Operating System.
13. Rename regsvr32.exe which resides in the above folder, right click on the file and choose &quot;rename&quot; then rename the .exe extension to .old
14. Close the search window
15. Extract the Microsoft file regsvr32a.exe to the folder, which contained your original regsvr32.exe file. (Do not copy and past, this file needs to be extracted)
16. Once the file has been copied please repeat 1-5 to get the necessary .dll files copied to the C:\Program Files\ Common Files\AdaptecShared\CDEngine folder.
17. Go to &quot;Start&quot; then &quot;Run&quot;
18. In the run dialog box please copy and paste the following commands including the quotes and click &quot;OK&quot; one at a time.

Regsvr32 &quot;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CDEngine\ACMWrapperV2.dll&quot;

Regsvr32 &quot;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CDEngine\driversV2.dll&quot;

Regsvr32 &quot;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CDEngine\MediaPlayerV2.dll&quot;

If the above files have all registered successfully try launching an Easy CD Creator Project. If you still receive errors when the program is initializing

quasimodem,

I even deleted the registry entries pertaining to EZCD5 and the old EZCD & still got the &quot;Engine Initialization&quot; error after re-installation. Furthermore, the darn thing would not even recognize my CD recorder.
Now Nero was more intelligently written & it recognized my CD recorder right off the bat without any initialization problems whatsoever.
The problem with EZCD5 is that when Roxio took over from Adaptec, Roxio was under the misguided premise that they could develop a better piece of software & retail it for 100 bucks a pop. How wrong were they when they neglected to include the fundamentals in their design and instead opted for a supposedly more cooler looking interface.

So long EZCD5, RIP.

B-)

Well DUMBUM, try installing the older version of EZCD by Adaptec, then uninstalling it and then installing EZCD5 by Roxio, and then let's see how you go.

B-)

Go to the Roxio site and download the ezcd_v5.1_plt patch. That will solve your problem.

In a message above (up three), the instructions ask the user to &quot;extract&quot; a file. I followed the steps up to this point, but don't know how to &quot;extract a file&quot;. It tells us not to 'cut and paste'. Does anyone know how to extract? Please let me know if you do! Thanks.
RE: [[15. Extract the Microsoft file regsvr32a.exe to the folder, which contained your original regsvr32.exe file. (Do not copy and past, this file needs to be extracted)]]

go to start\run and type sfc
click ok
choose select file from installation disc
put your win98 disc in your cdrom
choose the directory that has the file (D:\win98...or whatever drive letter designation your cdrom is)
follow the prompts
Roxio may have it's bugs, but once you have it installed it's a great program
ALL: don't trash a piece of software unless you could write a better program. writing code is pretty complicated, give the authors a break. when this program was written your cdrw wasn't even designed yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back