Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

easy access to Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjatcal

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2001
US
I have been using the Windows Calculator a lot recently. Is there an easier way to open it up without having to go through Start-> Programs, etc. I believe there was a way through the Start-> Run.. but I don't remember how.

Thanks.

Hello

The executable name for the calculator is "calc.exe".
The quickest way to run it, even faster than typing the name in the run box and hitting OK would be to create a shortcut to it on the desktop and assign a shortcut key so you can run by by pressing, for example Ctrl Alt C unless you have one of the keyboards with customisable buttons, which you could set one up to run the Calculator.

John

I created the shortcut on the Desktop but was unable to edit the "Shortcut Key" field under Properties. How do I do that?

Thanks!

Click in the field then press the combination that you want to use on the keyboard. The only rule is that it must not be used in Windows, and if it is used by any application, if the app is the active application, that will take precedence.

John

Even easy way to start calculator is to drag the shortcut down to the task bar. It will then start with a single left click. You don't need to worry about assigning shortcuts. I have several programs on my taskbar. It makes life sooo much easier.

open quick launch area of task bar, right click, new=>shortcut

command:

c:\winnt\system32\calc.exe (win2k)

c:\windows\system32\calc.exe (winXP)

click next, name it calc, right click shortcut, click properties, set shortcut key to open it..close property sheet, close quick launch window, now use keyboard shortcut or single click calc shortcut in quicklaunch toolbar..

Cheers,

Jatcan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back