Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easiest way to remote access the office??

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxxxsteel

IS-IT--Management
Mar 7, 2003
US
I have a small office that I support. They have a need to access files on a public folder that is located on a NAS device (snap server) from thier homes. At the office they have a T1 connection with a Cisco 1700 series router and a Netscreen firewall/VPN device. The router was setup with NAT by Verizon since I dont know cisco routers. With this in mind, how or what would be the easiest way to allow them to access their files from home? I was thinking about setting up an FTP server on the Snap Server, that way I dont have to mess with PCanywhere. But Im not sure how Id get through a firewall, NAT on the router and finally to the Snap Server/FTP server. Im not strong in the NAT/Firewall areas so any help is appreciated! Thanks!

You will need to get someone who is familiar with the Cisco. You will also need to have someone who can administer the firewall. On the Cisco, you will need to configure port forwarding. NAT by nature drops all incoming packets unless it is mapped to an internal address. For FTP, you will need to forward TCP port 21 to your Snap server.

On the firewall, you will need to open TCP port 21 to your Snap server.

Hope this helps.

I'm trying to learn more about configuring NAT on my Cisco 1700.

Exactly how would a newbie go about doing this? I need to open up certain ports and find an IP address that a user's cell/pda can use to connect to his desktop pc.

I"m not expecting a book's worth of answers here, but I could use a good place to start.

Any help is appreciated. thanks.

Have a look at:

Optional online RPC Subscription Service provides seamless, hassle-free connectivity even if remote computer cannot be accessed directly via its IP address. Access any PC regardless of firewalls, routers, and dynamic IP addresses.

You can test drive this to see if it meets your needs. Not to expensive as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back