Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easiest way to format a hard disk on XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riksta

Programmer
Dec 7, 2003
GB
Hi,

I would like to format my hard disk completely and re-install Windows XP service pack 2. Please can you advise me on the easiest way in doing this. Will installing xp prof from scratch format my hard drive?

Thanks Rik

If you tell it too it will, I can't remember the exact wording but I know you have the option to use existing partitions/file system or create new ones. I would delete the existing partition and that should force a format.

Ok. The easiest way to do this in my opinion. Is to get a windows 98 startup disk with the Format file on it. put the floppy in the floppy drive then reboot. when you computer starts back up, it will load from the floppy. when it finishes loading type in fdisk from the A: prompt. after you run fdisk use the command from the A: prompt format C: then it should completely format. you can also do it from the windows 98 cd. some people tell you that you can not completely format windows XP. But I have done it several times. And I have used both methods, the startup disk and the cd. I hope this information has been useful to you.

Mikker:

Good advice if they wanted to put Win98 on.. Unfortunately, they are trying to re-install XP !!!!

Riksta:

Foolow ski's link.. Everything you need to know is there !!

Murray

yes but after formatted you can always insert the xp cd and install xp. i have done it

I meant to add that when you run fdisk when it asks you if you are sure that you want to proceed. put yes or y for yes. then when the screen goes to wher you can select 1 through 4 select delete non dos partition. then go back to main menu and select option 1 create primary dos partition. After that reboot and when you get to the A: for a floppy with the format.exe on it or if you are doing it from the cd it will need to be in the E: Prompt. type in format c: after formatted insert the XP cd and start the setup. XP will probably make you do another format. choose quick format. takes about three mins. to do the quick one. then choos the NTFS partition or what you prefer.and follow the on-screen instructions. Simple and easy.

mikker:

true, but why go through all the extra steps when XP will do it all on it's own???

Murray

XP can't do a true format, that completely formats like 98 does. If I am not mistaking to do a format using XP, you have to download special files or tools to do it. But 98 can give you a true complete format and have you ready for a good clean install.

Actually, mikker has a good suggestion. I did the same thing with a 98 boot disk. There was no problem installing xp after using the 98 boot disk.

Plus (with 98 disk format), you will get a choice of Fat32 or NTFS. With CD format, the default is NTFS which may not handle some of the older programs you like!

There is also the option to download a utility from the drive manufacturer and write zeros to the entire drive.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Actually you get the choice of NTFS or FAT32 on XP Pro CD install

Hey All,
thank you all for your help and advice, I finally managed to complete it. I just put the CD in, rebooted it with it still in the machine and it automatically booted up with the cd and then I just followed the instructions.

Kind Regards

Rik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back