Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easier Power User group membership!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModularIT

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2001
AU
Instead of making users members of the Power User group on a Win2000 machine each time they are logging on for the first time.... is there an equivelant group I can make them members of on an NT 4.0 Server so that (atleast while logged onto the LAN) they will be granted the ability of a Power User on their PC. We have a few computers that are shared by many and I get tired of adding their username and granting them Power User group membership when they are logging on for the first time!

Cheers

Nick B

No Power Users group natively in NT but you could use the default "Domain Users" group for the purpose. Or create your own domain global group on the domain.

Which ever one you use, add it as a mamber of the workstation local Power Users Group at install time and any domain account that is a member of your chosen domain group will have Power User privilages on the workstation.

-Hugh

If you modify the default user's rights to be a member it will allow the new user to log in and already have the same rights. Fish

"Your worst day is only 24 hours long"

My previous post assumes that the NT server is a domain controller and your users can logon with an account on the domain. The domain Users group is allocated local "power users" permissions at the workstation by making Domain Users global group a member of the worktation's Power Users local group.

The staff do not log onto a "workstation account" they logon to a Domain account (that gives them local permissions to the workstation through the group membership setup above). In fact the workstation only has one valid local account (Administator) and that is only used to logon (by you) off-line if the domain is unavailable for some reason and you need to access the PC.

If you wish to individually set up an account on each workstation for each user, then I think you are stuck with setting each one up manually.

Any account (local or domain) has to be created first before a user can logon to it. It is much easier to centralise the account creation process back at the server.

-Hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back