Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E911 Feature for multiple facilities. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montero84

Technical User
Jul 17, 2008
US
Hello,

I have a S8400 pbx system and 4 different buildings using the same PBX. We would like to find a way to separate the facilities in the system, so when a 911 call is placed the PD get the right address... I was told something about a E911 feature in Avaya. Does anyone know something about it and how to configure it?.. or is the only way to get a third party company to manage a DID database?

Thanks in advance!

If you have local trunking at each location you wish to have the PD show up than you can use location based routing for 911 specific to each site. If they are IP Phones you would need to also map each of the to that particular location.

If you are looking for granular information (cube,floor et al) or centralized 911 you would need a 3rd party service such as redsky.

Although local trunking is an option in each building, it is really the E911 CLID that is routing the call in the PSTN network. It may be possible to manipulate the CLID, based on location, for 911 calls to send a number that is representative of the physical address, if you have a PRI trunk in use for E911. I am assuming all of your facilities are in the same jurisdiction and this is a campus environment.

For complex scenarios, RedSky, eTelemetry and others are all Dev Connect partners and can offer additional capabilities such as user mobility, PS-ALI database management, and enhanced on-site notification via screen pop SMS or email.

You should understand how E911 works and is routed in your particular area, then develop a plan for how you want to deal with mobility and users in each of the locations, then decide on the solution, either in-house with the built in feature set, or off board via a 3rd party application.

I did a primer on E911 and how it works when I was back at Nortel and it is still on YouTube at:
I am in the process of re-branding this to Avaya, but left the old one out there since the basic principles are the same.

--
Fletch
Avaya E9-1-1 Product Manager

Hello,

Thanks for the replys. So, in order to user the E911 I need local trunking at each location?

Thanks again!

You need to send a Caller ID that is relevant to the address of each building. There are several ways of doing this, one being trunking in each building. Also Caller ID manipulation sent via PRI can also work as long as the PSAPs are serviced by the same Selective Router in the PSTN. That information is not always easy to gather, and it is different everyplace you go unfortunately.

--
Fletch

Hello Nortel11PLM

I have a PBX with PRI and different buildings all using that PRI. It's a campus and every location has a specific address. they would be using the same PSAP. Do you know where can I get the information "step by step" in order to configure Caller ID manipulation sent via PRI?

Thanks again!

You really need an "E911" management system that can update the PSAP database, based on where you have each extension installed. It will be up to you to change the address of each extension, then the management software will go out and update the PSAP database, that is how Redsky works...

look at Redsky:

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Hello Mitch672,

How do I check if my S8400 has a E911 management system?

Thanks again!

Montero84, RedSky is an entire separate system, you need to buy it, configure it, manage it, if you had it, you would know about it.

Click on the link I posted, and click on "products" to see all the different versions they have availble. This is not an inexpensive product, last time I checked it started at around $25K

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

If you want to track locations at the user level, and you are willing to live with the delay period that is introduced while the record is being updated and ultimately being included in the ALI database, then an external management system is really the best.

If your desire is to gain more efficiency in the system, and zone level reporting is sufficient, then you can develop a plan that uses static ALI records that never need to change. This gives you the ability to provide building, floor and zone level of response, local on site notification with a minimal amount of expense and overhead.

Here is an article I wrote a while back on Location Accuracy v. Location Resolution

--
Fletch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back