Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E911. ESA feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

NortelSlave

Programmer
Oct 16, 2007
US
Here is our situation:

We have several carrier remote through out the campus, so the when 911 is called from these sites, only the address of the main switch is shown and a pilot number of the trunk. Our caller ID is blocked for outside phone calls. But we want to have the caller ID shown when it's a 911 call, it should show the actual number and address of the phone set instead of the PBX information. I know there is the NTP553-3001-313 with ESA feature. But I'm not sure if it will work with caller ID blocked and what steps I need to take to have this feature turned on. Thank you for all your help.

Get the E911 Package.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Not sure about the carrier remote, but for a branch office config, the call is basically routed back to the BO from the main pbx.Might be along the same lines.The BO dials 911, it goes over to the main PBX and in the main you set up ESA in ld24 to go back over the tie route to the BO, and then the BO dials it locally, you need some sort of trunk access from the remote site or I think your screwed without it.

What type of remote connection? I have never made it work on a T but it works well on a PRI.

I haven't tried Fiber or VoIP ----yet.

NARSBARS

These remote sites are connected to our main switch through copper point to point T1.
By E911 package, you mean from Nortel or get the third party E911 serive? Thank you very much for all your replys.

4.5 or earlier If you are running Branch office you should have created a unique zone ID within that zone you can define a unique identifier from the local host site.

If you are running 5.0 you can define this peramiter by individual sets rather than zones. ie...DES 5thfl2ndbldg

remote carrier cabinets are not branch offices, they are long distance extensions of the same pbx and thereby suject to the same 911 dialing plan.

you may need to set up 9,911 to use a local trunk to the remote cabinet and post stickers and perform training as per your local legislation.

branch office deals with this issue via zone based dialing.

I have not been able to make the outgoing CLID work over a T1. I worked with another tech over a period of a week building and tearing it down. I hope anyone that knows better will chime in but I belive it needs a PRI connection (D channel) and 911 calls override any CLID blocks.

NARSBARS

You will need a PRI with a D Channel to send CLID out of the Nortel PBX.

With ESA configured properly the ESA parameters out of the CLID block assigned to the key on the phone used to make the 911 call will be used. For normal calls, the other parameters control the CLID composition.

Now even if you do have a PRI and are sending a specific CLID for E911 calls there is still the possibility that the carrier is 'stepping' on your CLID for E911 calls. They may pass normal calls with your CLID, and only do this for E911.

911Guru

With AT&T as our carrier, we were able to solve this problem by purchasing 'Inform 911' Package. Runs us about
$125.00 per month on 2 PRI's. The system is totally arcaic, but it does work so that instead of the address registered to the PRI you tie the DID to an address. We found it better to use and address tied to DID and forget the names because users change and phones don't usually move around.

Not in all the different places I have worked for the last 27 years, users keep there phone and DID number and it moves with them.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Well, I guess that is probably true for moves. In our small government agency, users don't move very often. They usually retire or quit. So the DID & Phone go to a new person. Therefore, the DID actually stays in one location most of the time.

The remedy for your situation is a good one but for others it may not be cost effective. Here is how we get around it.

What you basically have is a PBX with either carrier remotes or mini carrier remotes. You install an analog trunk at each remote site for 911 dialing. At least 1 trunk and each are built in separate routes. You then through BARS TGAR the sets on the remotes off all routes except the route you want that specific call to traverse. You always make the main site the last entry in the RLI and do not tgar the remotes off of this entry so if for some strange reason the remote site trunk is busy the caller at least gets to a 911 psap. They may get teh wrong address but they at least are getting help.

If the remotes are in another state you have other things to contend with so we usually place an analog POTS line there tied to a set used for 911 only.

tnphoneman: your answer is good for the origanl question but that's 4 months old and acsotech just revived it with his solution.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back