Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E8604

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstarrett

Technical User
Jan 31, 2003
US
In the Archserve backup it errors on the Information Store yet allows a brick level back up. ODD ain't it. I think the issue is the "Backup" account not correctly setup in AD at the top level. I have gone through the procedure for setting the account permissions. They are set correctly in local domain AD and yet is denied access, only to the Information store. All other backups work fine in Arcserve

Here is my error:
E8604 Failed to start backup. (DBNAME=dbaexchsrs EC=Backup Agent Error -- (331) "Insufficient privilege. Please check user privileges" . )

Any ideas ?

You didn't say what version of exchange you're running, but if you're having permissions trouble with backup of the IS. Make sure the username you use for the service is at service account permission level on the organizaion, site and configuration levels.

hope this helps.

Joe Ambrose
The Conference Board

OS is Win2000 sp3 and Arcserve 2000 sp4

Thanks

Have you logged on as the exservice account (or whichever account you are using) and then configured the agent with the account info?

Yes Exchange Admin Backup client was configured and report setup correctly

I also have the similar problem with one of the new installed ARCserver for Small Business Server. E8604 and E8601, which indicate unsufficient privelege on the arcserve service account.
We have installed many arcserve AE/WE (Small Business is using the same engine).
I was configuring two arcserve sbs at the same time with exact configuration. One just would not for Exchange db agent for brick level. The server namae is 'SERVER' (stupid name - who able build that computer) which cause error on dbagent but fix by SP4.
Please advise if you guys have solution to this

I am presuming that the Backup Agent RPC Server service is also set to log in with the exservice account?

Hello,

I'll post this here in case this helps anyone with a similar problem. I too had the E8604 Failed to start backup. (DBNAME=dbaexchsrs EC=Backup Agent Error -- (331) "Insufficient privilege. Please check user privileges" Error.

I checked all of the Exchange Service Account with no obvious problems (I think CA could rewrite there FAQ better Win 2000!) Any way I was on W2K SP2, Exchange SP3, Arcserve SP4 and the way I fixed my problem was as follows :-

1. Removed Arcserve 2000
2. Removed Arcserve Backup Agent for Exchange
3. Installed Arcserve 2000
4. Installed Arcserve Backup Agent for Exchange
5. Applied Arcserve Service Pack 3
6. Applied Arcserve Service Pack 4

At this point I tested out Arcserve and low and behold It worked, I could select the Database backup and the Brick level backup!!

I think the order of the above might be very important because SP3 when run will update both of the Arcserve and Agent at the same time. I think that before I had run the Sp3 only on Arcserve and then later added Backup agent and then run Sp4, which again updates both Arcserve and the agent. I cannot be sure this was my fault though it is just my theory on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back