Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E8604 Failed to start backup. (277) Agent can not find next ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dand1

Technical User
Jan 12, 2001
US
After recent upgrade to Oracle ver. 8.1.7 I began receiving the following error using ArcServeIT 6.61.
---------------------------------------------------------
ArcserveIT Log file entry:
E8604 Failed to start backup. (DBNAME=~ARCHIVE LOG, EC=Backup Agent Error -- (277) "Agent can not find next archive log to backup.".)
----------------------------------------------------------
This happens if I backup the entire database. If I select the Archive Logs only, they backup just fine.

The only thing I can find at CAI.com:
-----------------------------------------
log_archive_format = "ARC%S.%T"

RESOLUTION: It appears that Oracle 7.3.3 views the second variable differently than 7.3.1. The user changed the uppercase S in the log_archive_format to a lowercase s, and then Oracle would create the log files and ARCserve could backup the data fine. The capital S causes the name to be padded with zeros.
----------------------------------
Our log archive format used the capital S before the Oracle ver. 8.1.7 upgrade and is using it after the upgrade. Strange thing is that before the upgrade we had the padded zeros. But after the upgrade the padded zeros are gone. DBA is checking into this.
Moved the old padded archive log files out of the archive log folder thinking this was the problem, but that didn't fix it.
Anyone run into this?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Thanks for the response.
Sorry, didn't mention in first message. I did try the LO81733 agent update. With that DLL in place none of the tablespaces backup.
Receives error: E8602 Failed to read from database. (DBNAME=HRDATA, EC=Backup Agent Error -- (69) "Read/Write error in named pipe/remote file operation.".)

So went back to original Oracle agent DLL. Better to get backup of data and put archive logs on separate tape job than no backup at all, at least until I get this problem resolved.

Problem solved. Arcserve's web site for patches and updates lists NONE as the prerequisites for the Oracle 8.1.6 update (LO81733). When actually you need to install the update for Oracle 8.1.5 then apply the 8.1.6 update.
Backup and restore both work fine for v8.1.7

I have a succesful backup of the oracle dbase... But when i try to restore i keep getting login Failures. Why is this?

am i the only person who has tried to restore an oracle dbase? Can someone advice on the procedures of restore through Acrserve Oracle Agent.

thanks v.much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back