Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E8602 Failed to read from database. Agent Error ( 83).

Status
Not open for further replies.

bastaj

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
CZ
I have a problem with my MS SQL 7.0 server and Arcserve 2000. I can't backup the databases with the SQL agent, this is the error message that i recive :
E8602 Failed to read from database. (DBNAME=dbuserxxx, EC=Backup Agent Error - (83) "Remote pipe open failed: time-out.)

Arcserver 2000 with SP2 installed on Windows 2000, MSSQL 7.0 with SP2 and SQL agent on another server with Windows 2000.
When I select backup only master database, backup is OK, master with another database is failed.

DBASQL.log -
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'database'.
Remote pipe open failed: time-out.)
---

Thanks.
Regards: Basta

Basta
I am having the same issue with my newly installed Sybase Agent I have a support issue open when I find the answer I will share it with you. In the mean time if any else knows the soultion to this I would be glad to hear it.

Trouble Shooting Tips
Arc-Serve 200 Backup Agent for Sybase Adaptive Server

1) Sybase Backup Agent Setup
a) Ensure the agent is installed using a Sybase login with SA privileges.
b) The Backup Agent allows the user to customize the product by modifying settings in the Windows NT/2000 Registry. There are settings that can be set by using the Windows NT/2000 REGEDT32 or REGEDIT utility. Backup Agent settings are listed in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE window under the following key:
i) If Sybase Adaptive Server Agent is installed
(1) SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\ARCserveIT\DSAgent\CurrentVersion\agent\dbsyb
(2) Several optional settings are provided for the Backup Agent under the dbsyb key:
(3) Change the Debug to detail trace
(a) Set debug:REG_DWORD:1 to enable debug trace for the Backup Agent.
(b) Set debug:REG_DWORD:2 to enable detail debug trace for the Backup Agent.
(c) Enable this setting will write a detailed log to dbasyb.trc located in the dbasyb directory created during the install of the CA Sybase DB agent.
(4) Remember to restart the backup agent RPC service the make the changes effective.
2) Other troubleshooting tools available
a) There is also some hints in the dbasyb.log file located in the same directory as the dbasyb.trc file.
b) You can also look into the Sybase backup log usually named “Machinename_bs.log” located in x:\Sybase\install directory
c) You can always call CA support but you already know more than they do with the above information. lol

3) ** NOTE** after running restore the database will be in an offline state and will need to be brought up to an online state.
4) Example of how to use the log:
5) While attempting to run a restore
i) The first attempt failed due to login problems
ii) Second attempt failed due to pipe time out error.
(1) E8602 Failed to read from database. (DBNAME=sandbox transaction, EC=Backup Agent Error - (83) "Remote pipe open failed: time-out".)
iii) After reading the dbasyb.trc file the error was that the backup SA user must have exclusive use of database to run load.
iv) Knowing this information I discovered that my DBA had an open connection to the file I was trying to restore. After I kicked my DBA out of the file with his tools the restore was successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back