Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E8601 - Fail to connect agent (Exchange Server)!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiddleWork

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2004
GB
This error has just started to appear in our backup logs...

E8601 - Fail to connect agent (AGENT=dbaexchis, EC=DBagent RPC Server is not started or not available)

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

It happens when trying to backup the MS Information Store. Also when I modify the job and try to access the MS Information Store on the exchange server I receive the following error...

DBagent RPC Server is not started or not available

I have restarted the RPC services on the exchange server, but still receive the error.

We are using ARCserve 9 (build 2020) on Windows 2000 server with SP4.

All help very much appreciated

Make sure the "CA Brightstor Backup Agent RPC Server" service is started on your Exchange server.

CA SupportConnect states:
Title: Troubleshooting BrightStor ARCserve backup agent for Microsoft SQL E8601 errors

Error 8601

E8601 Failed to connect agent. (AGENT=agent name, EC=error message/code)

Module:

Backup Agent

Reason:

BrightStor ARCserve Backup may have failed to connect to the Backup Agent for a number of reasons:
The Backup Agent RPC Server service is not running on the target server.
The Backup Agent Remote Service is not running on the target server (Backup Agent for Microsoft SQL).
The target database server instance may be stopped or inaccessible.
The target server may be unreachable over the network.
Machine authentication failure may have occurred for any of the following reasons:
Incorrect user name or password (Windows error 1326).
User name was specified without a domain or machine name qualifier, and this qualifier is needed for this particular user on the target machine (Windows error 1326).
Specified user does not have sufficient rights to perform a backup (Windows error 1385).
The user name or password is missing (Windows error 87).
The Backup Agent Remote Service and/or the Backup Agent RPC Server service are/is running as a user that does not have sufficient privileges to perform a Windows login (Windows error 1314).
A failure to load the agent DLL into memory may have occurred for any of the following reasons:
Insufficient memory available.
The Backup Agent DLL doesn't exist in the agent home directory.
The DLL path is incorrect in the registry.
Action:

Windows Error 1326 or 87
Check user name and password for machine login.
Specify domain or machine authentication for target machine login.
For a domain user, use this format:
Domain\User name
For a local machine user, use this format:
Machine\User name
Windows Error 1385

Check that the user specified either has the "Backup files & Directories" right in the Local Security Policies of the database server machine, or is a member of a group which has this right. This right is typically held by the Administrators and Backup Operators groups.
Windows Error 1314

In the control panel, under Services (Windows NT) or Administrative Tools (Windows 2000 and above), check that the Backup Agent RPC Server service and the Backup Agent Remote Service (Backup Agent for Microsoft SQL) are running as "LocalSystem", or as a user that is a member of the Backup Operators group.

If the Backup Agent RPC Server service and/or Backup Agent Remote Service are/is running as a user that is a member of the Backup Operators group, make sure that the Backup Operators group has the "Act as part of the Operating System" right in the Local Security Policies of the database server computer.
Other Errors

Verify that the target database server instance is running on the target server.
Verify that the Backup Agent RPC Server service is running on the target server.
Verify that the Backup Agent Remote Service is running on the target server (Backup Agent for Microsoft SQL).
Verify that the target server has sufficient free memory available.
Check network connections.

Hello All,

I realise this thread is fairly old, but thought i would add a fix which I have just come across.

If the "Exchange Administrator Service Account" is 'hidden' from the address book then the exchange database agent will fail.

NOTE: I am running ArcServer 6.61 on Exchange 5.5 so this info *may* not be applicable to newer versions, but the CA support article was not version specific.

We had backups running fine up untill a couple of days ago when the account was 'hidden' as part of mailbox maintanance.

All seems well with the brick level mailbox backups again tho.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back