Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E8511 Failed to connect with Client Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuber

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
CH
Hi,

I have a fresh ARCserve 9 SP4A installation with Tape Library Option on a Win2000 Server SP4. During backup some servers get the above error message and the job is stopped (the client agent log shows nothing at all). When I directly submit the job a second time, the backup is completed without any error. Unfortunately this happens every two or three days (always when I do not sit next to the backup server and "babysit"...)
Before SP4A none of the machines had problems with the agents.
What I have done so far:
Reinstalled the client agent.
Increased timeout settings in the registry on the client and server side.
Added the servers to the backupserver's hosts-file.
Added the servers to the backupserver's arp-cache.

Does anyone please have a good idea?

Thanx!
Conny

Conny,

I have been fighting with the same issue. I backup clients ranging from Windows, linux, and solaris machines. In some cases reinstalling the client (in some cases a different version) fixed it. In other cases I had to stop and restart the client agent just prior to the scheduled backup job running. I'm not saying this solved all my problems, but the number to failed backups has gone down since doing this.

Good luck,
Troy

Hi,

I think it has to do with the WINS configuration. The same happened to me with several servers and I jumped to the conclusion that I should key them into the WINS. Anyway, I can't understand it because I've DNS as well.

good luck

Hi,
thanks for the info ... but neither restarting the client agents nor the wins-entries helped.
By now I seem to have solved it anyway by opening server admin -> admin -> multiple network cards and then have windows (instead of ARCserve) decide what lan-card to us. Since then everything seems to work fine.

Conny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back