Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E63000 & E3717 Errors with SDLTs 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd32

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2002
GB
We are currently experiencing problems with restores from Compaq SDLT drives on Compaq Servers running Arcserve 2000 SP3 (and SP4). The following errors occur during a restore of a selection of files from a restore by session:-
20020626 104607 6 Use media 31/05/02 20:35, ID D2D4, sequence #1
20020626 104607 6 Source Session 2 on Media 31/05/02 20:35
20020626 104607 6 Target Directory: E:\temp
20020626 114607 TAPE E6300 Windows NT SCSI PORT Error[ABSL:1000 CMD:11h] SCSI Command Retry.
20020626 114620 TAPE E6300 Windows NT SCSI PORT Error[ABSL:1000 CMD:11h] SCSI Command Retry.
20020626 114620 TAPE E6300 Windows NT SCSI PORT Error[ABSL:1000 CMD:11h] SCSI Command Retry.
20020626 114620 TAPE E6300 Windows NT SCSI PORT Error[ABSL:1000 CMD:11h NT:45Dh 1117]
20020626 114621 6 E3717 Unable to goto cluster. (CLUSTER=30114747, EC=Hardware Error)
20020626 114621 6 E3842 Unable to find file.

This is happening on 30+ Compaq servers of varying models (P7000 - P580)all running SDLTs with the latest versions of the Compaq firmware (v. 45 2d2d). If we do a full restore, there are no problems, however, when selecting only a few files, we keep getting the same errors.

We've replaced drives, SCSI cards, system boards, tapes; We've tried to full format the tapes, re-install Arcserve, re-initialise the Arcserve database, updated SCSI drivers, updated Tape drive firmware, etc, etc.......and none of this has worked.

Having spoken to CA Support, after much 'try this, try that', they said that the best way to do the restores is to do a full restore with filters, which worked, but can take many hours to complete. When you have to support backups on 1000 servers, it becomes unfeasable to filter the restores.

I have read some of the earlier threads but none of the suggested ideas have helped. Is anybody having the same problems and does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix the issues? CA and Compaq just blame each other!!!!
Thanks.

Rompaq v2.00A is version v45(2d2d)

Any idea´s where i can get v46 ???

If you have installed Version 2, you have to update the Firmware Database Via the web (Summary page), then refresh your list it should now be an option in the list for download.

Good Luck.

HI (from germany)

To KB99
Thanks for your reply !!
Can you tell me how I get the v46 in detail ??
I have no idea what you mean with update Firmware Database
V45(2.00A) give me 7x1,44 Disks,how can I update these??

Thanks a lot

Hi Guys

I have managed to get v46(Firmware Revision: 2e2e). The Tape Options Rompaq v2.00A is only v45. This will upgrade your firmware version to 2d2d which most of you already have. I haven't been able to find v46 on the Compaq web site but as mentioned I have aquired this from another source.

To Install first download the Tape Storage Management Console from the Compaq Web Site. You will need to install this on the server that has the SDLT Drive installed, so the software can detect the drive. It will require Java 2 Runtime Library v1.3.1 but if you don't have it it will prompt you to automatically download the Win32 version.

Once complete you can access the server by typing the following in your browser Click yes to proceed. Login as administrator. Password should be administrator by default but this can be changed.
Click on the Tape Storage Management Console Icon, highlight your SDLT device on the left hand side and select the firmware tab. You must do a Manual scan to detect the following file: SDLT1_46_CPQ2.IMG

This file will need to be copied into the downloads folder under C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\TSMC Server\downloads before the manual scan is performed. Click on "Use Selected" and away you go with flushing the firmware on your SDLT. It will read rev. 2E2E (v46) once complete.

I am about to embark on these restores that have been failing for us and I'll keep you posted how I go.

If you guys are still unsuccessfull in locating this file you can send me an email to george.veneris@housing.qld.gov.au and I'll be glad to send it to you. Not all at once ok:)

Thanks.....

We have successfully performed 4 restores so far without any problems. Though I have noticed transfer rates on the restores being slow. This could have something to do with the number of files we are restoring. The more files you have the faster the transfer rate should be.

Our restores to date have only been single file and folder restores.

I would be interested to know how everyone else is going?

First of all THANKS to all the contributors here!

I have a Compaq DL380 w a dual head Compaq SSL2020 AIT tape library running Arcserve 2000. I was working reasonably well for about a year. Lots of samll glitches like stalled backups that yielded no errors, but nothing obvious. Then a month ago my restore attempts to any mult-tape backups suddenly resulted in:
E3717 Unable to goto cluster
E3842 Unable to find file.
Single tape restorations like my differential backups restored fine.

In my case, part of the problem turned out to be due to the tape library being attached to a RAID controller instead of a 64-Bit/66-MHz Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI as suggested by Compaq.

I'm still working through some more bugs but wanted to point out this potential cause.

Hi,

I too had the problems mentioned: we have a tape raidset (2xSDLT, Raid0) and backup is going well, but when we want to restore, exactly one hour after we start to restore, the restore job fails. We opened a call at CA, and started testing further. We also looked for the v46 firmware upgrade for the SDLT tape units, but couldn't find it on the compaq site. So we also opened a call at Compaq. Yesterday, CA called us and told us that the v46 firmware upgrade should do the trick, so we called Compaq to ask how to get the firmware upgrade, and they told us to upgrade using TSMC (Tape Storage Management Console), which can upgrade "Real Time" from within Windows. They also send us an .img file, which we had to put in the download dir of TSMC. After upgrading we tried to restore again, et voila, it seems to work. We will do some more testing the next day, but it looks like it's going to work after all :)

Grtz,

Mario

I had also experienced this Error 6300 porblem today...
But my sitauation is some what different.... my Arc serve 2K and the server(Compaq ML370) ran fine for over 6 months already and i also have no problem in restore files.... but today once i back to office, it show error 6300 ... but the funny point is... i didn't reboot my machine ( as stated in Compaq, u need to reboots u system before having this problem) and i also have no problem in "restore by session"....
at last... i try to reboot my whole network.....it works fine .... hope tomorrow also work fine.....
P.S. and i didn't install the Compaq Patch as "JimHarrison" mentioned...is it really work???

I too had same problems as mwillart. Backups work (but slow) and restores job fails exactly one hour, receiving an E6300 SCSI message about 2-3 times a minute. My hardware is a HP LH3000 server and a SDLT220 tape drive. Received v55 firmware from Quantum. Going to try it tonight. Wish me luck!

To joearcnerd:
-------------------

You wrote:
"I have had the same problem with restores. But the problem only occurs when the job needs to access a second tape."

Check the Arcserve 2000 patch list at because I saw one there that deals with backing up to multiple tapes. John Trembly
mailto:John.Trembly@dpcdsb.org

Howdy all,
We have also been experiencing the E6300 SCSI port errors on numerous Dell systems (Dell PE2650 servers with Adaptec 39160 SCSI card connected to Dell PV132 & 128T Autoloaders) all with Arcserve2000 sp4 loaded. I've been banging my head against this one fro a while now and over the weekend finally sussed it. forget all of your firmware downloads for it (update your devices anyway, but it's not the solution).. you need to disable your backup devices in Win2k device manager. The SCSI port erorrs are caused by Windows 2000 (or some Dell agent) interacting with the SCSI command chain and producing the errors. Once i'd disabled all of the backup devices in device manager it's error free!!..

Let me know if this helps.

What goes up, MUST come down [PIPE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back