Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E450 - Sol 10 - disk controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

keitharmstrong

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
GB

All

Ive installed an old E450 for testing with Sol 10, however I cant actually see any disks on the 2nd controller. Im guessing a new driver is needed, however I cant find to see any. Anyideas?

my thanks

Keith

keitharmstrong;

Is the drive attached internally?

If internal what slot # is it in, Do you have the scsi adaptor (usually the dual ultra/wide scsi 375-0005) cabled to the scsi backplain?

Is it attached externally and if yes what is the drive in?

Also if you can get model # or part# off the drive?

Thanks

CA

Hi

Its internal. The disk bays arrangment has 3 disks in the left bay and 4 in the right

format shows that c0t0, c0t1 and c0t3 disks.

the disks are in bay 0,1,3,4,5,6,7 the rest are empty

many thanks

Keith

As for the backplane - do you need to remove the power units out, to get to it?

Keith

keitharmstrong;

the disks are in bay 0,1,3,4,5,6,7 the rest are empty

The slots 0,1,2(empty),and 3 are all on one scsi backplain.

Slots 4, 5, 6, 7 are on another scsi backplain.

So you are saying when you run probe-scsi-all you only see you c0 drives? Do you also see your cdrom come up, it is on another scsi path.

Don't mean to question your knowledge but I have seen people put drives into the additional slots and not have a backplain and scsi card to run them. You need to open the cover and make sure that the scsi cables are running from you scsi card to your backplain that is attached to your drives in slots 4, 5, 6, 7. Also while your looking at the card get the part# if possible.

Also try putting the drive in slot 4 into slot 2 and power on and probe-scsi-all to see if drive is recognized. If it is recognized then the problem has something to do with second backplain and scsi card setup.

Also you could try 1 drive at a time on the second backplain to confirm that 1 of the drives is not scsi bus issues. Generally you would be getting errors if there was such a problem.

Make sure that you are not attaching anything externally to the scsi card that is being used to drive the second backplain, this will cause scsi conflicts and your internal drives will not be seen.

Thanks

CA

keitharmstrong;

The backplane can be seen by looking into the internal drive bay. Do you see the additional scsi connectors for the drives? If yes then you have the backplane.

If you wanted to see the backplane you would have to take of the left panel (left side when facing power supplies). The right side you would remove to check out the scsi cards.

Could be a raidcard, I have not seen one of those in a few years so I would have to check notes for any known issues.

Thanks

CA

yes

the 2nd backplane is controlled by a raid controller.

The scsi and raid controller exsist and are connected ok. Ive simply installed sol10 over the top. It may be simply sol 10 did not have a driver for the raid controller

or along those lines

I'll try with playing with the drives to make sure its the raid controlled plane that is the problem

keitharmstrong;

Couple things;

So this was a running unit with these drives previously configured and you were just updateing the OS?

What slot is the card installed into?

from ok prompt run show-devs does it show the scsi path for the riad controller?

If you boot the OS run;

pkginfo -l SUNWhwrd
pkginfo -l SUNWhwrdx

These were the packages to run SRC/P card

Thanks

CA

CA

Ive not got those packages on the box, ill try find them
and yes it was simply an update of OS
Not sure on which slot, ill check

many thanks

keitharmstrong;

I wonder why the packages were removed during the upgrade. I looked around for information about Solaris OS support for the SRC/P Raid card but found nothing saying it was or was not supported by Solaris 10.

I recently ran into a solaris 10 upgrade issue where by I found out RM6.22.1 for A1000 A3500 is not supported.

So if you have a contract with Sun I would suggest giving them a call to see if Solaris 10 supports the card and software. Most likely it is supported.

Also there was a cd that was sent with the raid cards so hopefully you have it.

Thanks

CA

sadly the cd could be anywhere It was acutally a reinstall rather then an upgrade. I cant find the drivers anywhere, nor on sunsolve so I'll give them a call. Seems I can get them for 8, 9 - just not 10. Thanks for helping me narrow down the issue, appreciated
have a good weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back