Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E3537 Failed to connect to media. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaYHeM24

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2002
US
I run Arc Serve 2k AE with Tape Library Option. Twice now I've ran into the problem where the GFS backup job asks for me to mount a tape in the GFS Group. It's asking for 2 possible tapes to be the scratch set of GFS-DLY group. Both tapes are in this group online and ready but ArcServe is unable to find them. The first time this happen I ended up having to reinstall everything. Now it's been about 4 months and it's doing it again.

E3537 Failed to connect to media (MEDIA=KC-GFS,SEQ=1,EC=196)
E3537 Failed to connect to media (MEDIA=F-KC-GFS-MON- 1/27/03,SEQ=2,EC=196) etc.
N5962 Media in device group KC-GFS is not in the scratch set of pool KC-GFS_DLY
N5940 Please mount one of the following media in device group KC-GFS etc. etc. etc.

ANY IDEAS how to fix this stupid issue without re-installing and formatting and/or importing all the tapes again? I have tried running dbfix/chk etc. Any help would be appreciated!

Running On:
Compaq Proliant DL380 P3-1Ghz w/1Gig Ram
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server w/SP3
Arc Serve 2000 AE SP4 w/Tape Option SP4
HP Surestore 2/20 Tape Library w/Quantum DLT8000 Drive

-=MaYHeM=-
-=IS MGR=-

view the tape.log from the primary and the distributed server in order to verify whether the same condition is causing this error or if there is a new condition, and enabled debugging for the tape engine because the tape Drives maybe assigned in a wrong order causing Tape Engine trying to move tapes from to the wrong tape drives

Change the registry value from 2 to 1:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\ARCserveIT\Base\TapeEngine\De bug\Level
I believe that the tape engine must be restarted after changing the level.

The HP Surestore we have only has one Quantum DLT8000 Drive installed inside of it. The unit can be purchased with one or two drives. Ours handles the default 20 tapes w/one drive which can be added to with other hardware. Thanks for the reply, however!
I'm having two issues with it now as I believe I have some bad tapes too. I'm ordering 20 new tapes and starting over I think. I just added 10 new tapes to it a 4 months ago and everything was fine till this same issue came back. -=MaYHeM=-
-=IS MGR=-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back