Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E3156 Unable to prepare for Active Directory Backup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

beldon

MIS
Nov 18, 2003
IE
I have recently started getting this message on one of my backup jobs. It doesn't happen every night but most nights. Can anyone help? Thanks

Do you any other applications running that might be accessing the directory? such as a defrag or virus scan.

I have just discovered that there is an NT Backup job set up to backup the system state every night but it is not due to start until 3 hours after the arcserve job. This problem only started happening after a reboot of the server. I have disabled the NT Backup job for tonight to see if it makes any difference.

That is only part of it. The OS tape device and media changer drivers, and the Removable Storage service can also cause problems for ARCserve.

Did you find a solution to this one? I am now getting the same error on my nightly backups after upgrading from V11 to V11.1

Dell PowerEdge 2650 (Dual P4-1.8 2gb RAM)
Windows 2003 Server Standard (Domain Controller)
Exchange 2003
ArcServe V11.1
McAfee Enterprise V8.0

Getting the E3156 Error after we updated to service pack 1 BriteStor R11.1. Unable to prepare active directory for backup.

Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
BriteStor R11.1 Srvc Pack 1

I've just recently started getting this error as well.
Brightstor 11.1 SP1 w/device patch 3
Windows 2003
Has anyone come up with a solution?
Thanks!

Hi,

When you say "recently", what changed? did you appluy sp1 on the windows 2003 server?

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

By recently, I mean I had other issues with Brightstor so I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling it. I then applied SP 1 (for Brightstor) and device update 3. I don't believe these were installed prior. SP1 for Win2k3 is NOT installed nor will it be.

Did anyone come up with a solution to this error
E3156 Unable to prepare Active Directory for backup ?
Frustratgingly having the same issue.

running arcsserve 2000 v7.0 on a windows 2000 server

Thanks in anticipation

In my case, the software hive of the registry was larger than what the system state backup could handle. CA sent me a hotfix that fixed the problem.

Thankyou for that information, really really helpful. Did CA remote into your machine to patch it, or did they send it to you? If they sent it is it possible to aquire that patch from you? , had a long morning sifting through ca web pages to looking for inspiration and telephone support contract has run out.

thankyou again in anticipation

They actually created the patch when they discovered it was Brightstor that couldn't handle the size of the registry. To my knowledge, it has not been released to the general public. I can send it to you, but mine is for Brightstor 11.1 and might not work (read: most definitely won't work) on Arcserve 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back